Operation Home Blog
Operation Home Blog
  • Fort Worth, TX

Easy License Plate Wall Art

$10

It started with a clock. And a blank slate of a room. Our 4-year-old son Lucas's room to be exact. He'd asked for a clock since we'd moved in and I'd finally procured the perfect fit. A sweet clock that was modern, bright, and simple... oh yeah, and super inexpensive. (Ie: The stuff fist-pumps are made of). The question was how to hang it.
easy license plate wall art, bedroom ideas, crafts, repurposing upcycling, wall decor
Lucas's room is transportation-inspired, so I wanted to include a few of the license plates that we had on hand. I have plans to eventually create a GIANT license plate statement wall (we have an abundance of plates just WAITING to fulfill their destinies), but Lucas was so anxious to have his clock displayed that I decided to create a smaller arrangement in the meantime to appease him. I began by playing around with layouts on the floor until I was satisfied with the size and balance (ie: the arrangement shown above).
I used that first photo as reference, decided on a central starting point on the wall, and then worked from the bottom to the top, recreating my preferred arrangement.
I used small finishing nails to affix the plates to the wall, being sure to level every single plate. Which left this...
Lucas's room is slowly coming together. There's still lots to do, but considering we started here, I'm happy with the progress...
Here's a sneak peek of that same view of his room at this point in time (FYI: I totally removed the rug beneath the tent after taking this picture. Heehee!)...
The only cost for this project was the $10 that I spent on the clock since the license plates and nails were already owned. For more details on this project and additional before & after pictures, check out my blog post and House Tour. :)
Operation Home Blog

• Superbee

OK, I LOVE license plates; they are almost as good as maps (sort of in the same vein) Love what you did with the license plates and clock. Very cute and creative.

• Cecilia Bramhall

Very nice! My son had a transportation theme too with license plates on the wall. It was fun to find different ones. Love the clock as the focal point of yours!