Solid wood pieces can live forever, especially when taken care of properly. We found this adorable dresser that had been cherished at a local thrift store and knew it would be the perfect makeover for a little girl's room.
Oak Dresser Pink Makeover
We started by removing the hardware. Then we used some Krud Kutter to clean. After we rinsed and let dry we used a 220 grit sandpaper to scuff sand the surface so the primer has better adhesion.
We used Shellac based primer in the spray can to prime the entire piece. Whenever we are going from a dark wood to a light color we always use a white primer. We lightly sanded with a 400 grit paper and removed any sanding dust with a tack cloth. I didn't want to use the original hardware for the refresh, so decided to make some molds to cover the middle key hole of each drawer.
We used an epoxy to create the mold called Kwikwood. There are so many options you can use when making a mold, but I had this one already closeby so grabbed what I had available. We used these really cool moulds by Redesign with Prima called curio trinkets. To make the mold, we started by lightly spraying the silicone with Pam. Then we broke off a piece of the Kwikwood, mixed it together with our fingers into a ball then pressed it down into the mold. We let it dry a few minutes, popped it out of the mold while it was still pliable and used wood glue to set it onto the drawer fronts.
Aren't they cute?
Gluing them while they are not completely dry helps if there are rounded edges on the surface you are adhering them to.
We then let the piece sit overnight and used our Zibra angled stubby brush to paint our pale pink color called Darling by Country Chic Paint. We applied two coats, lightly sanding in between each one with 600 grit and removing any dust with a tack cloth. We then sealed with a flat top coat (two coats) and used a touch of gold gilding paste on the molding to bring out the details. We used our fingertip and just lightly touched the molding on the raised areas. Lastly, we then attached vintage hardware that we saved from another piece that seemed to work perfectly with this one.
Thanks for following along!