Laminate furniture, can be built good! But you think “ugh so beautiful but how will I paint this?” That’s what I thought as well. But I wanted to try! This is how my project went painting a laminate piece of furniture! - this piece is for sale! Check out my site.
Painting Laminate Furniture - Dresser
This dresser is refinished in ‘Country Chic Paints’ - Cheesecake off white. And miniwax - special walnut stain for the legs! Keep reading for the steps.
This is what the piece looked like before I started.
You may be wondering what the red spots are?!
that is CAR BONDO! It smooths to a buttery feel and is paintable! So filling any chips or roughing it works well :)
This is after 2 coats of country chic cheesecake furniture paint over top their country chic paint primer! The adhesion works so great with this paint.
- wash your piece and dry it
- fill any chips or marks with car bondo, let dry! (Be aware this stuff does smell 🤧)
- once dry use a 330 bondo sanding block to smooth!
- once the surface is even and smooth to touch apply country chic clear bonding primer!
- once dry (dries fast) apply 1st coat, sand in between coats for an extra smooth finish ! I use a roller on this big piece! And I honestly prefer the DOLLARAMA ROLLER PRODUCTS. So affordable.
- apply X3-4 coats
- once complete apply a top coat! The one I used for this project was a miniwax poly acrylic
This mid century style piece of furniture is vintage! It’s funny how furniture pieces went from 100% wood, to partial wood, to laminate and wood, and Veneer, to current ikea furniture and particle board. Regardless of the type of furniture your working with, it’s amazing what a little bit of paint can do!