Create high-end looking Mercury Glass using plastic dollar store ornaments and paint!
Dollar Store DIY Faux Mercury Glass Ornaments
I recently joined a DIY challenge to create using clear ornaments. Initially I wanted the clear plastic ornaments that have the hole on the top and a cap, but I couldn't find any at our local dollar store so I picked up some that came apart in two pieces.
It was a bit more challenging because these didn't have the decorative cap that I wanted. So I would also need to come up with an idea to create one.
The technique I had planned on using was to first spray a bit of looking glass paint into the inside of the ornament. Then spray a bit of vinegar water. And then swirl both around to create texture and a design. Lastly, I would use a blow-dryer and dry the paint quickly so I could repeat these steps until I had the look I wanted.
But after I did this technique with the first ornament I didn't like the end result.Although it was prettier-the ornament still looked...well, plastic! And worse the line where the two parts came together was even more visible! So it was back to the drawing board. This time I decided I would use the same ornament and experiment by using the same technique but this time on the outside!
I started by spraying the looking glass spray in small sections. Then spritzing a bit of the vinegar water on and swirling it around. This created a fun pattern. Then I blow dried the area and started in a new section. This time before I blow-dried the paint and water I used a paper towel and dabbed it a bit creating a bit of texture. I repeated these steps until both sides were completing covered.
When I placed the two pieces together I noticed that some of the line where they came together had disappeared under the textured paint. Had it not been 35 degrees outside I probably would have added more paint and removed the entire line but since it was, I decided to move on with the other ornaments.
For the next ornaments, I decided to add in some gold and silver metallic paint. This time I skipped the step of painting the inside and foced on the outside only. Basically, the steps were the same as the first ornament but this time I sprayed a bit of gold (or silver) paint here and there and used the paper towel to create texture on that too.
After I had all the ornaments painted and had allowed them to dry completely I decided to add some decorative caps. I had a bunch of these that I'd saved from broken ornaments but you can buy them on Amazon or in any craft store. To add a bit more vintage style to them I gave each one a coat of black matte paint and then touched them up with a bit of gold glitter paint.
I plan to display some of these Mercury Glass ornaments in a vintage sleigh, but I will be hanging some of the on the tree in our dining room. For those I simply tied a piece of gold stretch cord around the top under the cap.
I love how each ornament is unique! And since I had everything but the clear ornaments the total cost for 6 was only $3!!!