Tin Can Lid Ornaments
The internet and pinterest are full of ideas for repurposing tin can lids. You can use them on the roof on birdhouses, decorating a table top, or making quick and easy Christmas ornaments.
Let's gather these items, so we can get started:
* Safety Can Opener
* Tin can lids (mine are from broth cans & canned vegetable cans)
* Paint ( I used sample latex house paint that I got from Lowes in the paint clearance area and paint I had left over from painting rooms)
* Scrapbook paper (optional - use in place of paint)
* Small paint brush
* Small stencil brush
* Ribbon or yarn
* Circle or scallop paper punch ( optional - mine is 2.5 inch circle that fits inside the lids or cut circles to fit inside of the lid)
* Christmas cards/clipart/small holiday decorations/dimensional stickers
* Glitter - optional
Cut the lids off the tin cans with a Safety Can Opener so there are no sharp edges. Paint the lids different colors; if needed, paint on a second coat of paint. Accent them by stenciling a coordinating color around the outer part of the lid or all over.
**You can also sprinkle glitter on the lid while the paint is still wet.
Optional: you can punch out or cut out scrapbook paper to use in place of paint.
Punch out pictures from Christmas cards, use clip art, or use small decorations/dimensional stickers. Glue the embellishments to the middle of the can lid.
Glue on ribbon or yarn as a hanger.
Yeah! You're done with your Christmas ornaments.
Here's some other examples of tin can lid ornaments that I have done. On a few of them, I used scrapbook paper as background color instead of paint. On these I used dimensional stickers and small Christmas decorations.
Close up of additional ornaments.
Another close up.
Side note: If you use Swanson Broth, I have found that the top and bottom lids can be removed with the safety can opener. So you get two lids out of one can. Yeah!!!
- Tin Can Lids (Broth cans/canned vegetables)
- Paint (Sample/mis-tint clearance paint from Lowes)
- Christmas cards/Clipart/Small Dimensional Stickers (Walmart/Michaels/Hobby Lobby)
- Safety Can Opener (Walmart/Bed Bath Beyond)
- Small Paint Brush/Stencil Brush (Craft Stores)
- Scrapbook Paper (Craft Stores)
- Ribbon/Yarn (Craft Stores)
- 2.5 inch Paper Punch (optional) (Craft Stores)
- Glitter (Craft Stores)
Published November 6th, 2017 9:31 PM
2 of 125 comments