Drill a hole i plastic ornament?

+19

I have been trying to drill a hole in the bottom of plastic ornaments to make a topariry but have been unsuccessful. Tried glue gun with no glue stick and a drill and soldering gun. Nothing works.

Getting close to the holiday.

Thanksbonnie

• Vimarhonor Vimarhonor on Nov 18, 2021

Hello. Have you tried to dremmel? Going very slow it should be able to-bore a hole for you. My unit is older, I believe they still normally have variable speeds.

• William William on Nov 18, 2021

You need to drill a small starter hole then switch to the drill size you want. Use a 1/8" high speed drill bit for the starter hole. Then switch to the size you want. Start drilling slow so the drill doesn't wander. You can also melt a hole using a Phillips screwdriver. Heat the screwdriver tip on a stove flame or propane torch if you have one till it turns red. Then just poke the hole. Try not to breathe any fumes.

• Janice Janice on Nov 18, 2021

I've used a metal skewer to make holes in plastic. Just heat the tip of the skewer very hot and poke a hole in the ornament where needed. Any other metal object as Walter suggested (screwdriver) works well too.

• Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on Nov 18, 2021

Your issue is most likely your drill bit. Place painter's take where you want to drill and use a plastic drill bit, very small.

• GrandmasHouseDIY GrandmasHouseDIY on Nov 18, 2021

I agree with Janice, a little screw driver heated up should make your hole without breaking the ornament, it would just melt into the plastic. Otherwise I would check for a different kind of drill bit, something specific for plastic and turn your drill down as low as it will go and go very slow.

• If you start with a very small drill bit, you should be able to make a starter hole. Another idea is to heat a metal skewer or small screwdriver and touch it to the plastic. This will melt a hole for you.

• Redcatcec Redcatcec on Nov 18, 2021

I've used a red hot nail, heated over the kitchen stove flame, hold the nail with pliers or a vise grip so you won't burn your fingers, then immediately push it through the plastic. This will also work with a Phillips screwdriver. I've done this to lots of projects.

• Chloe Crabtree Chloe Crabtree on Nov 18, 2021

I had no problem melting the hole in the shatterproof ornaments. Perhaps you are not being patient enough or not using high temperature on your glue gun. It is not quick. You do have to be patient. Here are all of the instructions: https://celebrateanddecorate.com/diy-christmas-ornament-topiary-2/

• Mogie Mogie on Nov 18, 2021

If a perfect diameter hole isn't needed why not melt a hole in the ornament? Something like an electric soldering gun should work.

• We always tap a small home first and then use a large bit once we get it going. Also, I recently received a Ryobi all in one tool that had more delicate drilling attachments and they work great for precision holes.

• Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Nov 18, 2021

You would need to have the right drill to go into the type of plastic you want to drill. It could be resin? Ask at DIY store . Take ornament with you.

• Tuula - Color Me Thrifty Tuula - Color Me Thrifty on Nov 18, 2021

I have had success starting with a very small drill bit, and working my way up in drill bit size until I get the hole I want. You can't just drill a large hole into plastic. You need to work your up.

• Michelle Leslie Michelle Leslie on Nov 18, 2021

Hi Bonnie, plastic can be difficult to drill because the drill bits tend to slip on the smooth surface. Start with a smaller wood or metal drill bit. They have sharp points at the end. Put a piece of masking tape over the area you want to drill to give the drill bit something to "hold" onto and press down gently but firmly. Start at a slow speed. Once the small pilot hole has gone through, switch to a bigger drill bit.

• Bonnie Bonnie on Nov 19, 2021

I have tried using the dreimal and standard drill with appropriate bits. But the hot nail could work, trying that next. Thanks for all of the input

• Betsy Betsy on Nov 20, 2021

Hi Bonnie: What I do is get a nail the size of the hole I want, put it in a pair of pliers and then over the stove burner (I have a gas stove), let it get hot and then put the hot end on the spot I want the hole to be. There's a bit of an odor, but it's not bad :) Put the nail with about 1 to 1 1/2 inch of the point sticking out onto the flame so you have good control.

Good luck

• Bonnie Bonnie on Nov 20, 2021

I hate to admit but am going up on this project I tried all suggestions but they are not working. I really appreciate everyone input. It is great to know they are people who will respond to these die questions.

Thanks again bonnie

• Dee Dee on Nov 23, 2021

It would depend on how large you want the hole. You can use a screwdriver, heat it up and melt the plastic. Or you can drill a hole.

• Maura White Maura White 7 days ago

I love your idea of a topiary ornament! Instead of trying to drill a hole at the bottom, could you try getting the balls that come in halves? That way you have open space to make the topiary and then just put the two side together? Check these out and see if this would work: icon icon

• I find it easier to melt through smaller plastic items, especially thin and brittle plastic. Heat a small nail (the size of the hole you need) with a candle flame, then press the tip into the plastic, where you want your hole. Let the heat do the rest.