DIY Floor Lamp Stand for Under $15
Growing up, I always have deep love for floor lamps, especially in bedrooms. They provide such soothing and calm lighting to the room. It is what I always wanted for my bedroom.
A few months ago, I found a beautiful lamp from WestElm sale section for $18 CAD - except that it didn't come with a stand! Purchasing a floor lamp stand isn't in the faint of my heart - it is way overpriced!
After research, I decided to DIY a floor lamp stand with the simplest steps using the most basic materials from Home Depot. If you are interested in how I did it, please keep reading!
Here are the materials I used:
- 1" x 72" dowel (bought)
- 1' length handrail (bought)
- 2"x4" pine wood (scrap)
- 2"x6" pine wood (scrap)
- 1"x8" pine wood (scrap)
I am leveraging whatever I have at hand. If I was to buy lumber, I would just buy 2"x4", cut into different lengths and glue together. That will work too!
Here are the steps that took me to make the lamp stand:
1. Use the 1"x8", 2"x6" and 2"x4" as the base - I will explain this part later.
Locate the center point of the 2"x4" and 2"x6", drill a 1 inch hole at the centerpoint of both 2"x4" and 2"x6" using a spade bit. This is where the 1 inch dowel will be attached.
2. The handrail is where the lamp will be hung. I drilled a 1 inch hole halfway through using the same spade bit as above. In addition, I also pre-drilled through the top using a regular bit for the screw.
3. After all the drill work was done, I sanded down all base pieces, including corners and edges. They will be stacked like the below as the base of the lamp stand.
4. Glue up all 3 base pieces and attach the dowel. It's coming together!
5. I waited 3 hours for the glue to completely dry before moving on to the next step.
6. After the glue dried completely, I attached the lamp arm to the top of the dowel using both wood glue and a screw to hold it in place.
7. Screw the ceiling screw hook that came with the lamp into the lampstand arm, and then hang the lamp on the hook.
Isn't it amazing?
Yes - we don't need big bucks to create a customised look!
- 1"x72" dowel $6.56 CAD
- 1 foot handrail $4.97 CAD
- If I didn't have scraps at hand and were to buy a 2"x4"x8' lumber, it would cost $6.55 CAD
Total: $18 CAD - that's equal to $14.14 USD!
Let me know if you have any questions!
Find me on Insta: Sibel | DIY & Home (@little.crafter_) • Instagram photos and videos