How do I fix or cover this quartz seam nightmare???


Our contractor botched this new quartz countertop installment. Obviously they are no longer on the job. Can this be fixed? If not can I cover it some how?

q how do i fix or cover this quartz seam nightmare
q how do i fix or cover this quartz seam nightmare
  16 answers
  • Robyn Garner Robyn Garner on Feb 22, 2021

    Before we start, if you haven't paid the contractor please don't! You can contest his charges with this proof of poor work. If you have paid, you can take him to small claims court to recoup your costs.

    Repairs are fairly simple and straightforward!

    How do I fix a chip in a quartz countertop?

  • I would hold them responsible for fixing it or hire another contractor for the repair.

  • Michelle Leslie Michelle Leslie on Feb 22, 2021

    Oh, that's just wrong on so many levels. I'm sorry you had to put up with such bad workmanship Katie. Perhaps you can get someone to re-bevel/re-edge the countertop. Here's an article that gives you a little more information -

  • Dee Dee on Feb 22, 2021

    If you went through Home Depot of Lowes, contact their district manager. They will make it right. I would get another contractor to fix the edges. Certainly would not trust the person who did this as it is not professional. If you paid by credit card, dispute the charges.

  • William William on Feb 22, 2021

    I would get another contractor to do the repair. Get an affidavit from him if you plan to sue the first contractor. It would require sanding with a diamond grinding wheel to smooth the surface. The it would need to be honed and polished to give it a shine.

  • Mogie Mogie on Feb 22, 2021

    Have you contacted the original contractor and explained this problem?

    What does you contract read regarding this type of situation?

    Photograph everything. Keep all receipts even remotely connected with this.

    Keep a phone log of every call you make regarding this, who you talk to, a brief wrap up of the conversation and the date and time of the call.

    Call you better business bureau and any consumer agencies in your area.

  • Kathie Kathie on Feb 22, 2021

    You can also file a complaint very easily with the Contractor’s license board. In your state. If you used a non-licensed contractor take them to Small Claims court.

  • Betsy Betsy on Feb 22, 2021

    Hi Katie: Contact the contractor and have them come back and fix the problem. If they won't, that's what small claims court is for. If you don't want them to fix it, tell the judge that you want to use another contractor because you've "Lost Faith" in this one. Those are the words to use. Also, ask for your court costs, too.

  • Morgan McBride Morgan McBride on Feb 22, 2021

    I don't think you can cover that

  • Chloe Crabtree Chloe Crabtree on Feb 22, 2021

    I do not think that can be repaired, that part of the cabinet would have to be replaced.

  • Cynthia H Cynthia H on Feb 23, 2021

    Hi! I would contact the manufacturer. They value their consumers and will make every effort to help you make it right. Just a thought. I imagine it can be repaired by someone with the right tools and skills. Good luck!

  • Flipturn Flipturn on Feb 24, 2021

    Do you have a written contract that was signed by both you and the contractor before any work began or before any money was exchanged?

    If so, what does the wording read as far as work being completed to the customer's satisfaction?

    If you do not have a contract, then unfortunately, you will not be able to file against him in small claims court for breach of, or unfulfilling his responsibilities of the contract, simply because none exists.

  • Flipturn Flipturn on Feb 24, 2021

    Being that this eyesore is in such a central prominent location on the countertop, I would not suggest trying to 'fix' it yourself by any diy methods. You will continue to see it forever, and be reminded about the situation.

    William is right that the entire piece will need to be removed, sanded, honed and polished. This most likely will need to be done at the premises where the piece was originally cut, or at a similar commercial location that prepares the same type of quartz countertops.

  • Annie Annie on Feb 24, 2021

    You will need to find the matching quarts. Looks like quite the mess, I hope that is not around the whole counter....

  • Jeremy Hoffpauir Jeremy Hoffpauir on Feb 28, 2021

    Unfortunately, the entire piece needs to be redone - that's the only way to do it correctly.

  • Agnes Chrzanowska Agnes Chrzanowska on Feb 28, 2021

    This is not something you can do .. I would contact another contractor to see if he can use epoxy to help out ..