How to fix a crack in a door frame?

+7

How to fix a door frame with a split in it?

q how do i repair this splitting in my door frame
  • Michele Pappagallo Michele Pappagallo on Nov 26, 2017
    I would try squirting a small amount of wood glue into the crack, then using blue tape to hold the piece in place until it dries completely. Use a bit of spackle to smooth out the edges after it has dried, sand and then touch up the paint. Probably won't be perfect, but should look pretty good.

• Cynthia H Cynthia H on Nov 26, 2017
    Wood glue and wood filler are my go to for problems like this. There are paintable wood fillers and glue that dries clear or white. A good sanding sponge and you should be good to go. Do you know what caused it? Maybe something is catching on it that could be minimized.

• Bobbie Bobbie on Nov 26, 2017
    Add some caulking around that area

• JC Cas JC Cas on Nov 27, 2017
    Minwax makes a wood epoxy just like wood filler and you mix it and put in the crack so it doesn't expand or crack anymore. Caulk will crack and so will plain wood putty.

• Chubby58 Chubby58 on Nov 28, 2017
    Try Bondo Wood Filler. I had to order mine on line because I could not find a store that had it. It's stainable and paintable.

• Robyn Garner Robyn Garner on Nov 28, 2021

If you'd rather replace the piece it's a standard trim piece size from any big box store.

• David Wright David Wright 7 days ago

What is damaged is the frame, not the door trim. The frame is interlocked with the header and difficult to remove and not available at Home Depot.

• Dee Dee on Nov 28, 2021

I have fixed that same area. I used Bondo wood filler, but you could use Elmers also. I taped the area off and then filled in the cracks. I let dry completely, then sanded the area down. Mine needed 2 applications. When dry, you can prime and paint.

• Vel14020981 Vel14020981 on Dec 04, 2021

I have and it is much easier than repairing the whole, wood, I use, glue, and paper, once it harden, i sanded and then painted.

• Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Dec 05, 2021

Looks like you have maybe tried to use glue of some kind already? If that is the case, you must let it dry thoroughly and then plane it down flush with rest of door frame, before priming, undercoating and then painting.