How to fix a crack in a door frame?

Mary-Ann Farr
by Mary-Ann Farr

How to fix a door frame with a split in it?

• Michele Pappagallo Michele Pappagallo on Nov 26, 2017

I would try squirting a small amount of wood glue into the crack, then using blue tape to hold the piece in place until it dries completely. Use a bit of spackle to smooth out the edges after it has dried, sand and then touch up the paint. Probably won't be perfect, but should look pretty good.

• Cynthia H Cynthia H on Nov 26, 2017

Wood glue and wood filler are my go to for problems like this. There are paintable wood fillers and glue that dries clear or white. A good sanding sponge and you should be good to go. Do you know what caused it? Maybe something is catching on it that could be minimized.

• Bobbie Bobbie on Nov 26, 2017

Add some caulking around that area

• JC Cas JC Cas on Nov 27, 2017

Minwax makes a wood epoxy just like wood filler and you mix it and put in the crack so it doesn't expand or crack anymore. Caulk will crack and so will plain wood putty.

• Chubby58 Chubby58 on Nov 28, 2017

Try Bondo Wood Filler. I had to order mine on line because I could not find a store that had it. It's stainable and paintable.

• Robyn Garner Robyn Garner on Nov 28, 2021

If you'd rather replace the piece it's a standard trim piece size from any big box store.

• David Wright David Wright on Jan 16, 2022

What is damaged is the frame, not the door trim. The frame is interlocked with the header and difficult to remove and not available at Home Depot.

• Dee Dee on Nov 28, 2021

I have fixed that same area. I used Bondo wood filler, but you could use Elmers also. I taped the area off and then filled in the cracks. I let dry completely, then sanded the area down. Mine needed 2 applications. When dry, you can prime and paint.

• Vel14020981 Vel14020981 on Dec 04, 2021

I have and it is much easier than repairing the whole, wood, I use, glue, and paper, once it harden, i sanded and then painted.

• Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Dec 05, 2021

Looks like you have maybe tried to use glue of some kind already? If that is the case, you must let it dry thoroughly and then plane it down flush with rest of door frame, before priming, undercoating and then painting.

• I would get some wood glue into the crack and the press it down firmly, securing it with painters tape until it's dry.

• Jim Cox Jim Cox on Mar 09, 2023

Wood glue, a $8 bar clamp from Amazon/Harbor Freight, and one nights' worth of patience.

• Deb K Deb K on Apr 11, 2023

Hello, clean it thoroughly, let it dry, add wood glue to it and clamp it over night. I will look like new in the morning. Apply wood glue or filler into the cracked part of the door, ensuring you apply enough glue to reach deep into the crack. Next, use wood clamps to squeeze the door together while the glue solidifies. Leave the clamps on for a few hours to ensure the glue sticks. Lastly, remove the clamps.

• Betsy Betsy on Aug 12, 2023

Hi Mary Ann: I agree, a bit of wood glue squirted under the crack and taping it down should work great. You can use some wood putty, stained to match, to smooth out the bumpy area, let it dry and sand smooth.

• Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Sep 28, 2023

You could use a good wood glue and clamp it, or cut out the area and insert a new piece of timber, or pin it from the side or Glue and Pin!

• Janice Janice on Dec 18, 2023

After applying wood glue, I agree with the others who are advising you to clamp the area to ensure the areas are glued together well.

• Annie Annie on Dec 24, 2023

You could take a bit of caulk or wood glue to fill in the crack! You may need to paint over it after to make sure everything blends in.

• Annie Annie on Dec 24, 2023

This video should be helpful if you decide to use caulk! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgSYmFOi-iQ

• Mogie Mogie on Feb 06, 2024

Carefully remove broken, split pieces of wood from bottom of the side jamb. Pull off any small splinters. Apply carpenter's glue to broken wood pieces and glue them back onto the jamb. Hold scrap wood block over the repair and use a hammer to tap the glued pieces tight to the jamb.