How To Make Deco Mesh Snowman Wreath

$20

It's gone viral and everyone wants one...I'm talking about the deco mesh snowman wreath!! And why shouldn't it??? It is adorable!

When a customer requested one of these Frosty's, I posted the completed wreath on my Facebook page and it was SO popular! I asked my followers if they wanted a tutorial and of course they said YEESS, so here is my version of the popular deco mesh snowman wreath including tips you may not have thought of!

FOR COMPLETE INSTRUCTIONS INCLUDING A VIDEO & LIST OF SUPPLIES, CLICK THE LINK TO MY BLOG BELOW.

Prepare Wreath

Start by first fluffing the wreath form. When you first get your wreath, it will be flat and you need to fluff the wreath and make sure to pull the twist ties up, out and away from the base. Turn the wreath over and make sure that there aren't any sharp edges, if so push them forward.

Using a piece of the work garland we are going to form a cross in the center of the wreath. Trim the twist ties off the end to reveal a long piece of wire. Use the straight edge of the wire garland to wire around the work wreath frame.

Stretch the garland across to the other side, clip off the excess and secure it around the wreath frame. We are creating a base in the center of the wreath so that we can attach deco mesh into the center.

Do the same thing going across the wreath in the other direction with another piece of garland. Trim off any twist ties you do not need, including one in the center since we already have one. Use the center twist ties to secure where the garland pieces cross.

Note: If you don't have this garland, you can use floral wire, double up pipe cleaner or use zip ties, just make sure it is white.

Adding Deco Mesh

Stack two rolls of 10" deco mesh on top of each other to speed up the cutting process. Roll out the mesh and use an anchor to hold it in place (my stapler). Use a rotary cutter to cut the strips 10 inches long. Put the strips to the side and continue to cut until all the mesh is used from both rolls. Note: I like to use a rotary cutter to make the cut cleaner, which helps to prevent some of the unraveling that happens with deco mesh.

You will need the third roll of mesh to use for filling in any bare spots, I used about of this roll. Attach the deco mesh by using the "ruffle technique" and pinching the center of each piece. Do this for three pieces of mesh and secure these three pieces under one of the twist ties. I started on the out ring but you can start anywhere. Continue attaching three pieces of deco mesh into each of the twist ties on the wreath and the cross bar until it is filled up.

Use extra pieces of deco mesh to fill in any bare spots. Since you don't have a twist tie, use a half a pipe cleaner to attach it to the wreath. You can use 3 pieces of mesh for larger holes and one or two pieces for smaller holes. There will be holes where you created the cross piece in the center. To get around that, move the pipe cleaner towards the end of the mesh pieces before securing it to the wreath. This long mesh will fill in the hole.

Make sure all the mesh is facing upward and not stuck under a twist tie. Step 3 - Make The Nose Cut the 1" chenille stem 24" long. Wrap it around the cardboard center of a deco mesh roll to help get it coiled. Remove it from the cardboard and use your hands to make the tip tighter and the base wider, shaping it into the shape of a carrot. Leave a 3" tail on the end to wrap around the center of the wreath form. There you have it, Frosty's nose.

Step 4 - Make the bow.

To make the bow, unroll some of the ribbon from the roll which makes it easier to work with. Form a small loop and pinch and gather around the back. This forms a pleated knot on the front which will be the center of the bow. The back side of the ribbon going towards the ribbon roll will now be facing up, to turn it over to have the good side showing, just twist it keeping the twisted section in your fingers. Pull the ribbon out and back under forming a loop. Measure out a 3" loop (if your hat is smaller, use smaller loops). Twist the ribbon again always keeping the good side of the ribbon on top. Make a 3" loop now on the other side of the center loop and twist the ribbon. You should now have what looks like a bow tie. Keep forming 3" loops until you have six total, 3 on each side of the center. Make one additional loop longer, which will be the bow tail when cut in half. Twist the ribbon again and then cut the ribbon from the roll leaving a 5" tail. Use floral wire or pipe cleaner to run through the center hole and around the back. While holding the ribbon and wire tight in one hand, use your other hand to fluff and maneuver the loops into shape and position. When you like it, turn your hand over and twist the bow to make the wire tight around the bow loops.

To attach the bow to the hat, run the wire under the knotted sash and twisted the wire. Cut the wire short and push in the extra wire. Cut the tails shorter on the sash and the bow. To see the remaining instructions, please refer to my blog link below.

Adding Facial Features

Attaching the Hat

Adding Backing

Clean up

Again, for more pictures the full video, a list of supplies and where I purchased them, head over to my blog! I can't wait to connect with you there.

Happy Wreathing, Julie

Southern Charm Wreaths

• Nancy J

thank you so much for sharing....how did you attach the eyes and mouth, hot glue to the mesh?

• Kat Killeen Cody

What is the cost of making this? on average..Ka-ching !

• Debbie Opatich

Love it, now I want to make but what size is the hat and where to get one?

• Southern Charm Wreaths

About 7" tall and online from craft outlet but I've seen them in the stores too

• Cheryl Clifton

Just a little tip about the hat. I had bought several felt hats at a craft store in my area that was closing(so I did get them very cheaply). They were green Leprechan hats. I cut each hat in half so they would lay flat. Then I sprayed the pieces black. This gave me two hats and totally solves the problem of too much bulk on the back side. I make a lot of deco mesh wreaths and snowmen so this helps cut down cost too.

• Sandra A. Jones

I would like to buy one please…I dont think i could make one even if i tried, i am not that crafty so on that note, where can i buy one of these please ?

• Mel2112201

where did you find the hat? i cant seem to find one

• Julie

@Melind Joann Fabric has them

• Southern Charm Wreaths

Try hobby lobby & party city n

• Cheryl Clifton

Check the clearance areas of your craft store. They may have leftover hats for leprechauns. You can spray paint the hats black. I also cut the hats in half to make the wreath hang flat without bulk on the top. And; you get two hats out of it.

• Becky Kellerman

Where did you get the hat?

• Jill Carpenter

It is absolutely adorable and you are so talented and kind to share how to make one since you are a professional BUT I am stuck in the same boat as some of the other readers. Fluff what? Work garland? Wire garland? What sharp edges? Do I need gloves? If you have time to help clear the confusion it would be grand. If not, you are still talented and gracious enough to share which I appreciate.

• Rebecca Parsons

How did you put the eye's and mouth onto the wreath?

• Lou Whitcomb

I live in a small town and don't know if Hobby Lobby has Deco Mesh…can someone tell me…also the hat were can I get it?

• Vicky

Every time I have tried to use the mesh it ends up looking awful due to the raveling. I end up ripping it apart and tossing it. So far I have a bunch of frames and about 15 rolls of mesh just sitting in my room. Any tips on helping that not to unravel and look so bad?

• Lori Nordine

I was thinking when you put the extra long mesh on for under the hat, that would be cute to make it another color and it would look like a girl version of the snowman...a snowgirl if you will! It could be an adorable snowcouple! :D The tutorial video was very helpful..thank you!

• Donna Thompson Kallem

Where do you find the top hats?

• Cdo2347969

looking for your directions for making the mesh angel

• Liz Lumsden

Is there a list of sources for the materials you used?

• Bcu3066822

@Liz Lumsden Click on the link above. It shows you what you need and where you can purchase the supplies

• Southern Charm Wreaths

Yes the link on the bottom to my blog post gives vendors.

• Liz Lumsden

@Southern Charm Wreaths I guess I am confused...I thought I was viewing your blog (Hometalk?) but at the end of the post it refers you to your blog for a list of sources. What is your blog address?

• Sue Wheeler

What size wreath form do you use for the snowman wreath?

• Elaine Conley

Where do you get the wreath?

• Faye Lloyd

Where do you get the flat surface piece to cut out on?

• Carol johnson

where can you buy the white deco mesh and the hat

• Judy Smock

where do I get the hat?

• Adriana Correa-Cavender

@Judy Smock You can find it at Hobby Lobby

• Moonalisa Crabass

@Judy Smock I looked in Michael's and Hobby Lobby, and did not find any. In lieu of ordering online, I am going to make mine from plastic canvas and felt. This way, I can also make only half a hat, so it will lay flat against the wall or door ;)

• Cheryl Clifton

I found leprechaun hats in the clearance section. Cut them in half and spray painted them black.

• Kendra James Luc

I am having trouble understanding the beginning instructions. Is that a wire wreath with the 3 rings? Twist ties? Like garbage bag ties?

• Moonalisa Crabass

@Kendra James Luc You can get the wire wreath forms at a craft store, with the ties already attached. I have not personally seen white, in any of my local stores, only green, but you could use a regular wire frame (without the ties), spray paint it white, then use white chenille stems for your ties. Hope this helps?

• Southern Charm Wreaths

The video shows it better it's called a work wreath form.

• Nancy

How do you attach the hat? I made a 3-wreath (graduated sized) snowman, and I have a hat, but don't know how to attach the hat. Can someone please tell me how they attached the hat? The one I bought was from Kirklands.

• C

What was the total cost of the supplies to make the wreath?

• Donna

I was just going to ask this!

• Nancy

You can go to the web site Paper Mart and get the deco mesh at fantastic prices with speedy shipping. I have purchased all of my mesh from them and have paid anywhere from $1.85 to $4.00 for a 21", 10 yard roll. They also carry all other types of ribbon, etc. Well worth checking them out.
  • Penny

Where did you find the orange chenille stem used for the nose?

• Debbie Kight

Did you say where you got the hat? did you make it ? Did I miss this step?😳
    • Lisa Sinclair

You have to go to her blog for the list of materials, and then there's a link for where to buy it. I'll save you the time, tho. Google top hats.

• Maggie Stewart-Popadak

where do you buy the fuzzy white pipe cleaners?
    • Lisa Sinclair

I get mine from my local craft store, but I bet you can get bigger pkgs of them online.

• Cindy

Did I miss where you listed your web or blog site?? This is adorable and I would love to make it and follow your projects...thanks in advance!

• Linda Todd

At first I thought it was smaller and made from a white bath mesh ball. Cute that you made it into a full on wreath.

• Nancy

I've made 2- one with tulle and one with the mesh. Both were adorable! I also made the top hat with a solo cup covered with black felt!