Wood Beam Mantel DIY

$30

We created this wood beam mantel for only $30. Even better...it only took around 2-3 hours to complete. This has been one of my favorite DIY projects to date.
Here is what our living room looks like after our making over our fireplace surround, painting the walls and removing the popcorn ceilings.
This is what the room looked like when we first moved in. I love brick, but I didnt like the tones is this particular variety.
This is what the fireplace looked like after whitewashing the brick using a 3 parts water : 1 part paint ratio. I had to do about 2 coats of the mixture.
In my opinion, the fireplace was still lacking warmth and character. So, we decided to wrap the existing mantel in wood.
For the wood, we used economical, common board. This really kept the cost of this project down.
Once the common board was installed, I stained the board with a dark walnut wood stain. I love how the wood added rustic charm and warmth to our living room. To view the full tutorial, visit http://designingvibes.com/wood-beam-mantel-diy/

Erica Van Slyke

• Nadine

The mantel adds so much warmth. The finishing touches always make a difference. The new stain on the mirror also makes it pop. Love the new border around the drapes. How did you do the drapes?

• Kathy

Such a simple change that instantly warms up the room. Nicely done! I'm hoping to do the same this year. Did you clean the brick before whitewashing it?

• Pat whitmus

My husband stuck on "natural" too. But when i painted our older wood cabinets white I got so many compliments. Jeanette...go for it! Be happy! :)

• Susan Rawlings

It does look so much better with the wood beam covering some of the "rougher" looking brick.