Free-standing Closet Made With an Old Door

$0
4

So I live in an old house that has small closets. That led me to have to be creative on adding more closet space. I love the open closet look that I've seen on various blogs. This is what I came up with and I LOVE how it looks and helps keep me organized.
Materials needed:
Old door (mine came with my old farmhouse)
2 1x4's cut to the height of the door. Mine was 77.5"
6 1x4's cut to 13.75"
Wooden dowel 1.25" in diameter cut to 50.5" (or whatever your space allows)
2 1x6's cut 50.5" long for top shelf
Before the clothes...
Steps:
Cut your wood to length, including the wooden dowel. Sand if necessary and paint. i used leftover white paint I had on hand.
Drill 1& 5/8" or 1 & 3/4" holes in the center of the 1x4's that are going to run parallel to the door 6" down from the top end. This is what the wood dowel will run through to hang your clothes. This will allow a 6" clearance from the bottom of the top shelf to the wood dowel that you hang your clothes on.
Using 1 & 5/8" drywall screws, screw the short 1x4's that will run horizontal to the door to the door on either side of the door so they are flush with the back of the door. Two at the top of the door, two halfway down, and two at the bottom. I am also huge on pre-drilling holes to prevent the wood from splitting. Next, attached the long 1x4's that run vertical to the 1x4's that run horizontal to create the "walls" of your closet. The long 1/4's should be attached inside the horizontal 1x4's and and be flush with the ends. I used 1 & 1/4" drywall screws for this and pre-drilled.
Now stand it up :). Trust me to get leverage for drilling you'll be flipping it every which way....haha. Then run your wooden dowel through the drilled holes of the 1x4's that run parallel and are in front of the door.
Finally attach the 2 1x6's that will be your top shelf to the 1x4's at the top. I placed my 1x6's flush with the back of the door and the front of the horizontal 1x4's. Now hang your clothes and use baskets or whatever on the top shelf :).

Transform Tuna Cans Into Gorgeous Lighting In 10 Simple Steps
13 DIY Projects That Scream Canada
The Wonderful Things You Can Make With...Paper!
Cuddling Up At Home With A Bottle Of Wine? Then Try These Projects!
21 Clever Wind Chimes You Can Make
Check Out These 15 Beautiful Flower Ideas For Spring
Add A Hint Of Farmhouse Style In Your Home With These Ideas
Here's How You Can DIY The Hottest Home Decor Trends of 2018
30 Stunning Ways To Display Your Plants
Lori Rowe

• Pamela

Could you use boards in back and use the old door in front like a closet door if you wanted less showing?

• Kat Atkins

put it on wheels and turn the door outward when not in use

• Liliana Wells

Neat project. Is this attached to the wall for stability? Or is the door sturdy enough to hold the weight of the clothes and baskets? Thanks

• Lori Rowe

Hi Liliana, No, it's not attached to the wall. It's actually very stable for what I'm using it for. Now, I wouldn't recommend swinging on it or pull-ups, lol. Thank you for asking, Lori

• RhondaForsyth

This is so smart love

• Pat Soan

This is an awesome idea. I live in a mobile home and the only closet is a very small one in my room, so this would ideal for the other 2 bedrooms. Tysvm. I can see what I'm going to be doing this summer IF we survive all this snow this winter . LOL