Ashley Harding
Ashley Harding
  • Chicago, IL

Chic Black Painted Dresser

A couple weeks ago I painted a French Provincial buffet in black. It was my first furniture makeover I painted in black. Since then, I've had a bit of a color crush, and have refinished several more pieces in black. Here is my latest...
chic black painted dresser, painted furniture
I mean really, can you blame me for crushing on this dresser?! The rich black paired with the gold hardware makes it hard to resist!
The piece didn't start out quite so swoon-worthy though. However the clean modern lines and brass hardware made this piece a standout as soon as I saw it.
I wanted to create a statement piece without being too over the top. I knew that General Finishes Lamp Black would work perfect for the look I was going for. I sanded the piece and then applied two coats of paint. I sealed the base with wax, however went with polyurethane for the top for extra protection and extra shine.
After polishing the hardware, it still wasn't quite as shiny as I wanted. I sprayed it with a coat of Rustoleum Metallic Gold. The gold hardware really creates a sophisticated and polished look.
Gold accents and accessories are so popular right now, making this hardware trendy and classic at the same time.
They neutral color and clean lines of this piece makes it compatible with so many different styles. I went with an upscale transitional look when styling it.
The only problem with this piece...I have no space in my house for it and I think the husband may go berserk if I try and keep one more piece of my furniture!
Check out more details at http://www.vintagerefined.com/blog/2015/12/2/chic-black-dresser
Ashley Harding

• Linda P

Looks great, but I didn't understand what kind of paint was on the dresser - was it a spray? thanks in advance. I like the look!

• Ashley Harding

It is a water based milk paint by General Finishes. It was brushed on. Hope this helps!

• Mel

I have one of these dressers I picked up by the side of the road this past summer.. It has a very glossy finish on it-- did you have to sand it first? I normally mix my own paints in neutrals but I love the black with gold accents!

• Michelle

What kind of paint did you use on this dresser! Turned out great!