Grouted Vinyl Tile

$25.00

Moving along in our half bath makeover, we recently updated the floor for only $25! We used vinyl tiles, but grouted them, and it looks just like ceramic!!
You can follow along with this bathroom renovation, and so many other projects that I'm constantly taking on! www.magentaandlime.net
The room has a completely new feel to it, and the tile looks just like ceramic in person. Another plus about this tile is that it is not as cold as ceramic tile.
Phase 1 of our bathroom renovation, complete!
I purchased our vinyl tiles from Lowe's. They are about $1/tile, and we used about 20 tiles for this space.
I started by removing the air vent to create a template to cut the first piece of tile.
I placed a sheet of paper on the floor, lining up the edges with where my tile will sit, and then used a permanent marker to make the template.
I placed the template on the tile and cut the tile with a utility knife. Shallow cuts do the trick and then you can just pop the piece out.
After the cut was made, I placed my tile on the floor, making sure to apply weight to it, as per the instructions on the box.
Since we were grouting the tile, we used spacers between each tile and continued laying them throughout the room.
Around the toilet, I made a template as well, but had to tape a few pieces of paper together, and pushed the paper down around the toilet to get accurate lines.
Here is the floor pre-grout. Looks so much better than before, but tile is always better after you grout it!
We picked up the grout at Home Depot. It was about $10 for this pre-mixed, but I'm using it for another room as well, so the cost for this is actually only $5!
After about a half hour of grouting, and 24 hours of dry time, the floor looks brand new! We also sealed this tile with sealer that we already had, which is about $10.

Erin Colburn

• Fong-Lie Bavelaar

I am very extremely happy with this information. Started to renovate my bathroom, hired somebody to lay vinyl tiles, he did not used spacers, I have to redo everything, have openings between the tiles, and nothing is straight.

This is the first time I deal with tiles.

I have another question, can I paint over drywall? Thank you for any help!

• Fong-Lie Bavelaar

To ad to the question if I can paint over drywall, there was wallpaper before on the wall, I have it removed. Reason I was thinking about painting, it is a small bathroom without ventilation.

• Chris

I think this a wonderful idea not only is very nice and pretty but very functional. If for whatever reason you might want to redo with a different pattern or color, it wouldn't be a major project to change. I always like the option of being abel to change.

• LorriB

There are vinyl peel & stick tiles made specifically for grouting. They are a great option for people who want a "tile look" but their subfloor is not suitable for the issues involved with adding real tile. One example is TrafficMASTER Ceramica tiles sold at Home Depot. These vinyl tiles are thicker, more rigid and have a beveled edge designed for grout although they can be installed side by side without grout. Thinner vinyl tiles may not provide enough depth for grout to stay in. The grout is simply filling the gap between the tiles - it does not hold the tiles down! The number one issue is subfloor preparation. The subfloor must be flat and be clean plywood. The plywood should be primed with a latex primer to improve adhesion. And remember - If the subfloor flexes, the tiles will lift, the grout will crack or start popping out. While a vinyl grouted floor may not have the lifetime of real tile, it can be a great choice for those on a budget, those who like change or those whose subfloors are unsuitable for real tile.

• LorriB

That sticky black stuff means the previous tiles were glued down probably with a mastic product. You would have to be able to remove all the black stuff and clean the floor or the peel and stick tiles won’t stick! If you’re using a glue down vinyl tile, you’ll still have to remove that goo. Before removing any older materials, remember safety equipment. Older mastics and even glue down tiles had asbestos in them - very dangerous to inhale or absorb through the skin. Your information doesn’t say if your subfloor is concrete or plywood. If it’s plywood, your best bet might be to just lay new plywood over top and start fresh. If it’s concrete then you’ll have to get the goo off.