Newspaper Pots for Seedlings!

Inexpensive, effective, and they break down easily when planted directly in the garden. I used a store bought wooden mold for these - but even a soda can could stand in for the mold in a pinch!
newspaper pots for seedlings, gardening
The little wood tool I used to form the pots is available at many garden centers, and it's also available at Amazon and Gardener's Supply.
I discovered it's best to cut the newspaper just a tiny bit (half an inch) wider than what is indicated on the directions. This way, I could fold down the newspaper about a half an inch at the top to help reinforce the pot.
As I wrapped the newspaper around the form, I tucked the one end of the pot top into the fold on the other end so it fit nice and snug.
newspaper pots for seedlings, gardening
Next, I folded in the newspaper on the bottom. I found the more little folds I made as I worked my way around, the better. If I just did three or four folds, it flopped open really easily.
Lastly, I fit my pot into the base of the mold. This helps shape those folds so they stay put.
I would imagine you could make these without having a wood mold. I'm going to try making them with soda cans as a mold, too.
These held up very well from March to May transplanting time. This photo is from March after about 2 weeks of use.

Becky - Clover and Thyme

• Hilliriah Jacobs

SUCH GREAT IDEAS GALS

• Jim warga

Another great way and a lot easier than newspaper is cardboard rolls that paper towel or toilet tissue com on. Cut them to about 1 1/2 in. in length fill with a good quality potting soil and plant directly into the garden when he time is right, don't need a bottom as the roots will hold the dirt in place for the transfer from the growing tray