Updating My Son's Room - From Baby to Big Boy

When my son was 3 he was obsessed with SpongeBob. I am not a fan of decorating a child's room in anything to “themey” so I had picked up these inexpensive stickers thinking that the would be easy to remove when he got over it, which they were. The comforter was a gift and we kept it after we changed the room to use for sleepovers and it can always be used with a duvet cover.
Before… Yes, it's sad, but it
updating my son s room from baby to big boy, bedroom ideas, home decor
When I decided to redo my son’s room I needed a “jumping off” point or a place to start. I had planned on keeping the paint color and the furniture but needed a direction to go in with all new bedding and accessories. Then I saw these quilts on line and fell in LOVE with them. They are so classic boy and they had great colors to work with.
Once I found the quilt or my “inspiration piece”, it was easy. I pulled the navy out and used that as my main color and used red as an accent. I started by painting stripes on the wall for some visual interest.
The travel theme kind of came about after my Mother-in-law gave me the globe. I spray painted the base Oil Rubbed Bronze to match the shelf we made out of plumbing pipe and a piece of reclaimed wood. I found the car/truck fabric at Hobby Lobby and made the pillow using fabric glue and then simply framed the leftover piece on the shelf above. I also painted the blue bucket and the cardboard letter "S".
The bulletin board was originally just a plain one with a thin piece of wood trim around the edge. To make it more personal my husband used some leftover window trim from our house to make a frame and I stenciled on different size S’s.
I also made the NSEW signs the are on the side wall. They are just pieces of old tongue and groove flooring that came out of my Father’s old shop. Great color and digs/marks from wear and tear. The stars I have had for years and painted them navy as well.
I Love the way it turned out! The best part is since it is classic colors and furniture, it will really grow with him. As his tastes change we'll just change out the accessories. We still have to build a closet and desk so stay tuned for those updates!
For more information about this room redo and others please visit www.mylifeonkayderosscreek.com. Sign up for newsletters and never miss a post!
Colleen@lifeonkayderosscreek

1 question on this project