DIY Farmhouse Style Indoor Shutters

My kitchen is in the front of condo, facing the parking lot. Blinds can block the sun and provide privacy, but let's be honest: they're not very pretty to look at.
diy farmhouse style indoor shutters, diy, rustic furniture, window treatments, windows, woodworking projects
Just in time for the Home Improvement edition of the monthly Power Tool Challenge, I built a pair of farmhouse-style shutters. Don't they look amazing? Way better than blinds and even though they are made with power tools, they are easy to make.
In fact, you can make these shutters in just SIX steps!
Come on over and see the full, step-by-step tutorial for complete instructions with lots of photos.
Since I made two of these shutters, I learned from my mistakes on the first one, so I'll save you from making them too ; )
I'll also share the tips and tricks that I discovered along the way. Like painting all of the pieces of wood before assembling the shutters. And how to use a shim to help install the shutters evenly.
It's such a relief know that I'll never have to agonize over curtain choices in the kitchen anymore.

Jeanie

• Lorena A Renaud

Could you put that beautiful hardware on the opposite side so they can be seen when the shutters are open? I would like to build them for décor so they would always be open. Yours are beautiful!

• Melissa Aker

Does this open any more than shown in the photos? Like, could they open all the way to be flat on the wall?

• Jeanie

@Melissa Aker They open all the way to be flat on the wall.

• Mary-Lou Coulter

I dont have that much room I have a couch in front maybe I could use another set of hinges to accordion them?

• Joanie

I'm havin' these rascals......I NEED curtains and now that I've seen your indoor barn doors, I KNOW WHAT I WANT!!!! Thank you so much!! They are wonderful lookin'!!!!!

• Gayle Deas

I live in the country and do not have close neighbors but I love this so much I want to do it anyway. Love them! Great job.