Small Master Bathroom Budget Makeover

$1250
2 Weeks

Our master bathroom is tiny. When we first bought our home 2 years ago, we quickly got tired of the cheap fixtures, cracked and broken tile, and little to no storage. We had to get creative with space constraints, but we had a vision and were able to completely transform the space with lots of built-in character!

The only official before picture I had was what the real estate agent sent us, so this is shortly after we started taking things apart. As you can see, we opened up the wall because we needed to extend the studs (to add shelves above the toilet) and move the outlet a few inches up. The vanity was cheap builder's grade that was painted (and chipping). That would soon change, but we chose to reuse the sink basin and the toilet, to save money.

Once the wall was repaired, I added faux shiplap by using 1/4" plywood and attaching it to the wall with a nail gun, liquid nails, and spaced with coins. I also installed white octagonal tile, which was a first time for me, but is totally do-able, especially with a small space!

After the tile was grouted and the walls were painted, I got to work building a new vanity. I designed a turned leg vanity that fit our space and provided adequate storage. I gave it a custom gray stain/dry brush finish and installed the old sink with a new faucet. I figured if I was saving myself so much money by doing all the work myself, it was okay to splurge on a nice faucet and a nice light fixture (that you can see at the bottom). The mirror above the vanity is vintage and from an old dresser that I stole it from. :) I love the warmth it brings, don't you? FREE BUILD PLANS for this vanity (plus details on how I finished it) is found here.

Next was adding a sliding barn door which opened up floor space and allowed more light to come in. The door was a vintage one that was painted several layers of paint, but that I scraped some off and then gave a layered paint look to add some visual interest. For privacy, it locks by a hook latch on the inside of the door and eyehole screws on both sides of the door frame. The light fixture in this picture is different than the one we actually chose, but we had to install this one temporarily until the REAL one arrived (it was on backorder). For my tips and tricks on installing a sliding barn door click here.

Finally, I added some floating shelves above the toilet for extra storage. The baskets and jars hide all our toiletries and keeps things from piling up on the limited counter-space.

The finished bathroom is something I am very happy with. Even though we couldn't bust down walls and expand, I really felt we made the most with the space we had and added a lot of cottage charm. Total cost for bathroom makeover: $1250 **some items we received were sponsored but I figured this cost as if we had to pay for everything out of pocket-- or in other words, what it would cost for anyone to duplicate** To see the full bathroom reveal including ALL THE SOURCES for everything used, see link below! I also share at the top of the post, the links to every step of the process, including: -initial design plans -progress and tips -tutorial for the vanity -tutorial barn door install

Rachel

• Hildegarde

where are the towels for drying your hands? I don't see any...

• Rachel

On the wall opposite the toilet has hooks for towels-- if you go to the actual blog post linked at the bottom you can see it.

• Lydia Hughes

Does the sliding barn door contain the sounds and smells of the bathroom? I was considering something similar but privacy, so to speak, is my concern. I like what you've done with the small space, affordably too.

• Rachel

We have a fan so that helps. And from my experience, the previous door that was there didn't block 100% of the everything that happens in the bathroom haha! I honestly haven't noticed anything worse or better, so I think it does about the same job as a regular door.

• Cathy

Thank you so much for this question and answer..I love your idea and we are going to do this. Is it possible to show a picture of how this looks from opposite side? Thanks!

• Ethyl

Where did you purchase the shower curtain? Ethyl

• Rachel

All sources are in my blog post listed at the bottom.

• Ethyl

My apologies, but when I checked your blog for the shower curtains ... It only came up blank. Sorry to have bothered you about this . thank you Ethyl

• Rachel

Ethyl, I didn't buy it online, I put a link in there to something similar I once found online for convenience. If you read it the list I made, several things in a group, I state they all came from HomeGoods.

• Myarley

Where did you get the hardware for the barn door? The bathroom is lovely.

• Jane

Love your blog! Beautiful bathroom! Has the wood warped any from the moisture of the shower?

• Rachel

No, we have a fan and used mildew resistant paint so there have been no problems, even after almost a year!

• Peg penater

Does the door (which I love!) have a bottom track to stabilize it?

• Heidi

what is the actual size of the bathroom

• Diane Burns Poole

The sliding door on the bathroom entry. I LOVE this! My bathroom is tiny and that would open up so much space for me. Where did you find the door sliding system? I have never seen anything like that.

• Joa9453585

where can I buy the white floating shelves?

• Kas8281939

IKEA has them, as well as Lowe's and home depot. Easy to install in studs.

• Crystal Goodsell

Where is the shower curtain from?

• Christine Pardo

Did tile the floor over tile? What did you use as bonding agent?

• Noele Edwards

Because I see the Kreg pocket hole, I'm guessing that you made the shelves. I can't find the instructions for constructing them.

• Ble5214775

I am SO impressed with your make over!!! HOW did you get that FABULOUS look/stain on the sink base??

• Lynn

I want to know Also, looks FAB

• Janice

She posted a link above to how she built and finished it.

• VENA SILLIPHANT

Have you thought about refinishing the mirror to match the sink base? That sink base is done so nicely it cries out for the mirror to match it.

• Ange Mills

I actually love the contest of the mirror.

• Cindy Roehm

The contrast makes it look perfect!!!

• Beverley Gasson

Don't change the look of the mirror it all works so well together.

• Abr4175060

I agree. I think it would look much better with the mirror matching the base. I love the bathroom. You did a beautiful job.

• Lonnie

It looks amazing!! If I was looking at it from a buyer perspective, I would right away put the mirror on my list of things to do very close to the day I moved in. I'm all about matchy-matchy. It's a personal preference thing. The rest of it I would leave alone because it matches and is gorgeous!!!

• Debbyhagar

Viva la difference! So much harder to successfully coordinate than to match and so much more interesting. Keep it!

• Devon Cramer

Are the vanity light and window the only sources of light in the room or is there also an overhead light?

• Irma Molina

We have a small bathroom too.what size is this one ,you give me hope ....so luv it

• Cheryl Biermann

Did you have to do any plumbing? I ask because my son's bathroom is so small the toilet is maybe an inch from the tub, by switching it with the pedastle sink it would make it so much easier to clean. Just wondering the difficulty of that and costs, provided nothing breaks while moving it all.

• Carol moser

Do you have a source for the floating shelves. I'm in the middle of a remodel and they would be perfect?

• David Lumphrey

How did you extend the studs?
  • Myrna Solomon

Just wondering why you didn't stain the mirror to match the sink, or vice versa? Great job tho!
  • Jeremy Green

Did you use any sort of sealer on the plywood? I would worry the moisture from showers would rot the wood after some time...
  • Jeremy Green

Did you stain or seal the plywood? I would be worried the moisture from the shower could cause problems after a while.
  • Sally Pavinski

What are floating shelves?
    • Tara Marion

Shelves that don't have visible brackets or hardware. They appear to be "hanging" right of the wall.
  • Leslie

It may have been asked previously , nut what size are the shelves dimensions?
  • Colleen Taylor

Hello, Like all the other 145 commenters have already sais - Great job. I want to build a bathroom in a small space and am wondering what the measurements of your bathroom are? I think my space might be even smaller.
  • Lisa

I would love to do this to our bathroom. My house was built in1850 and the bathroom was added later. I have no idea when but nothing has been done to it since it was installed. I am so afraid to start tearing into walls. My question is how do you get past that fear?

• Eva Conrace

My house was built in the 1880s, and I did my bathroom last summer. In my experience, you never know what you will find when you open up the walls. Unless you are an experienced carpenter, I recommend you hire someone for the basic construction, then do the finish yourself. I had sagging floor joists, in the basement and the ceiling, and now have two new support columns in the basement. Way beyond my skill level. I love the result. It is so much cleaner and more comfortable. Everyone wants to use my bathroom! You overcome the fear by getting experienced help and advise!

• Renee Brown

I have found that every diy construction project is comprised of one step forward and two steps back. Plan then replan again over and over. Be sure to put all the possible pieces in order, such as "if I do this then that will affect the outcome of that " my projects take a while because I am always thinking the "dominoe effect" through carefully when I hit each hurdle and issue. But the pleasure and pride is off the charts when each step is accomplished correctly. Good luck and don't worry, you can do it with flexible and thoughtful planning.

• MIck

Plan, have a clear vision, then close your eyes and swing the sledgehammer....once you get in that first hit, you are all in.

• Diane Kirsch

.......And, have a 'handyman' on stand by!

• Bijous

All good advice. I'll just add, anticipate a 10 to 15% budget over-run. Knowing this in advance will lessen the final sticker shock. The second is to set a time- line then extend it by 2 weeks. You'll be glad you did...

• Mssmatch

Do u climb on the toilet to reach items on top shelf?

• Ella Frierson Bond

I don't think most people would have to. I don't know the height but, judging by the shower bar it is not really high. I can hold onto the a shower bar without tip toes.

• Hotheadzmarine.williamson

I think those items are for decor only purposes

• Pamela Blunt

I love this. For me the sink cabinet especially is a brilliant idea. Our house was built in 1905 and we have a clawfoot that I refinished. I haven't been able to find the right sink cabinet so I am completely changing how I am thinking about it after seeing what you did. Also love the floating shelves. Right now we have a mahogany over the toilet storage stand. The floating white shelves would lighten up the room. Thanks.

• Sunny

she said The baskets and jars hide all our toiletries and keeps things from piling up on the limited counter-space.....so, I just thought they were items that were going to be used often..

• Dana Zimmerman

Could you have easily made some built in shelving? With the sheet rock and all off? I like build ins, with lips or railings!

• Zin14990756

Not above the toilet because of the pipes in the wall (first picture)

• Suzy Googoo

Don’t should all over people. Build ins with lips or railings doesn’t even make sense.

• Laurel

Wonderful! Love this look! You've inspired me to start planning- I too have a little bathroom that I can't expand but it needs a facelift. I think this is doable. Thank you for posting!

• Sue O'Ferrell

how do you go about getting sponsors? we've been renovating our house (former unloved rental) and sure wouldn't mind a little help!

• Lacey

Did you use marine grade paint to keep your shiplap from warpping from the shower humidity? I'm planning to do this but worried about the moisture in the bathroom.

• Catherine Gris

where did you purchase the light fixture above the sink?

• Julie

Not a question .... a compliment! This is the best project I’ve seen on Pinterest! Congratulations! Julie

• Pamela

Hi ! I love your re do !!!!

I have a question about about your barn door ... is there a way to put a lock on it ?

• Jane

“For privacy, it locks by a hook latch on the inside of the door and the eyehole screws on both sides of the door frame”

• Melanie Klem

Above, they stated, "For privacy, it locks by a hook latch on the inside of the door and eyehole screws on both sides of the door frame."

• Rosanne Marrufo Harris

This is amazing! Our Master bath is an exact duplicate. However we have a Shower in ours. Would the Shiplap be ok with moisture? I'm ready to start tearing down!

• Barb

I put it in our master. We use the fan on when we go in and leave it on for about an hour after. Also I would invest in a more powerful one. It’s not something that you want to go cheap on. Ours is about one year old now and it is doing fine. Oh ya, I used a bonding primer & and then outdoor paint in satin. I used nickels as spacers so that the cracks are equal. Then I stenciled a large shell in a transparent sea glass color. We really like it. Paint the lines first with a 2” brush.

• Melinda Clements McBride

I’d love to so pictures of your!! I’m so tempted to try this.. but your stenciled shell sounds wonderful! Please post picture!

• Mia Kulick

Please post a picture. Thank you.

• Melinda Clements McBride

I’m so impressed! Very pretty! Love the vanity, love the door, love the “shiplap”. It’s perfect.

• Mia Kulick

What type of shelves are those? Did you purchase them & where? Or make them & how? I love that idea. Thank you for sharing.

• Linda

Just Google "floating shelves." My son loves his!

• Lesia

Love the entire look! It’s perfect!

• Jeanette

Beautiful job. Did you remove the old tile before laying the new tile?

• Cher

you always should remove "old tile" as over time it can become lifted or grout no longer holding the material in place. This should be removed to give a good solid foundation for the new tile going in.

I worked in flooring for a number of years this is a huge mistake folks make is not removing the old which always causes issues down the road.

• Cyn Davis

When you laid the tile, did you have to put a pad under it or did you just lay it on the floor directly?

Thank you in advance. It looks great.

• Doreen Freeman

Thank you! I will try this project. Over the toilet I now have a lovely, large. storage cabinet. It is centered over the toilte & leaves apx. 14" bare wall on each side begging for these shelves. The existing cabinet has great storage except, without creative folding it just doesn't accommodate large towels.

My experience with floating shelves, unless they have those ugly brackets

under them, are difficult to install. Are yours of a unique mounting technique?

Thanks again, I am anxious to get on with this, what looks like a simple project but how many simple projects are really out there?