From Antique Storage Cabinet to Modern Rolling Bar!

Would you like to see how we worked on this cheap thrifty office cabinet? Have a look...
I found the cabinet at a thrift store. It didn't look attractive, but had an interesting sliding door, so I decided to make something out of it.
First step: sanding, and then we'll see...
After I sanded the whole piece, beautiful wood colour came up. It suggested something like a wine barrel, so I thought of painting a wine label on the door. Got the image from the web
Tansferred the drawing and hand painted
Cabinet ready! However it was too low to be a rolling bar. I will have to find the way to make it higher.
I wanted to give it an industrial look. There is always a way to make faux metal... I cut hardboard pieces, painted black and used graphite as patina to make it look like metal
Screwed pieces to cabinet in all its edges.
Now, it is time to make it higher. I will use this mattress base (or whatever you call it in English... I am really a Spanish speaker)!
And made this base for my cabinet. Added wheels.
And painted black with graphite patina.
There it is! Ready to store dozens of bottles at the bottom...
... and inside.

Marcela Pena

• Renata

I'm confused on the legs on top the wine base? R they regular legs n how where they attached? This is really kool n u did a great job.

• Lauren.

Renata, I'm sure she screwed the legs/flanges to the base and cabinet to secure them together. NO it's not removable without unscrewing from the flanges and base.

• Tln3131899

What did u mix the graphite powder with and did u paint it on or rub it in like stain?. I have never heard of doing this. Love how you totally transformed it into a beautiful and functional piece. Such creativity!

• Marcela Pena

Thanks! Remember I painted all these pieces black first. I used acrilics. Then, to give it the shine of metal, used the graphite. I rubbed it together with clear wax. At the end sealed with a spray laque

• Sunny

Hi, this bar is beautiful! But I always wonder, how do you transfer the picture so you can paint it? Thanks. I did not see this explained. Thanks 😕

• Heje

It looks very nice and the use of the slats was perfect because they hold the bottles in place. Good idea for making the "metal" trim and helpful to us other diyers.

• Amy Browning

So perfect in every way! Thanks for sharing.

• Reenaroc

Turned out FANTASTIC!!!!  Thank You For Sharing! Gave me lots more ideas for an old cupboard we have!  I bet you could sell something like that for $500 or more. Really! Some people have no creative talent what so ever  and are willing to pay for it.