Recycled Soda Can, Vintage Number Labels

Do you need vintage metal numbers for your DIY project. Can't find them or when you do find them the prices are ridiculous?

Would you believe these numbers are made from a recycled soda can?
recycled soda can vintage number labels, crafts, organizing, pallet, repurposing upcycling, shelving ideas

I recently shared with you an organizing shelf made from pallet wood. After those shelves were completed they still needed something. They needed numbers. And with 25 cubbys in need of numbers I needed to find an inexpensive way to create metal numbers.

My plan was to print out numbers on clear address labels and affix them to a soda can.

The numbers and ovals were lined up in a word processing program so that the numbers fit on my AVERY clear address labels. You can find a free downloadable at the link below.

I washed out a soda can. It was extremely easy to cut off the top and bottom of the can with simple household scissors.

Affixed the labels to the can and cut out each of the numbers leaving a bit of a gap around the outside of the oval.

While the labels are clear, they are more of an opaque kind of clear, they don’t quite let the shininess of the can shine through.

By scratching off some of the labels opaque finish with a screwdriver, I was able to see a bit of the shiny metal shining through.

Finished my “vintage” numbers with a bit of tinted wax dabbed on with a Q-tip. The wax is the same wax I use with chalk paint. Voila, vintage number plates!

The number plates were attached to the cubby shelves with 2 tacks.

If you need more pictures or the free downloadable number sheet click on the link below.

If you would like to make the cubby shelves, you can find them here. They are way easier than they look. You may be surprised.

http://scavengerchic.com/2016/03/21/pallet-wood-cubby-organizer-shelves/

ScavengerChic