Recycled Soda Can, Vintage Number Labels

Do you need vintage metal numbers for your DIY project. Can't find them or when you do find them the prices are ridiculous?

Would you believe these numbers are made from a recycled soda can?

I recently shared with you an organizing shelf made from pallet wood. After those shelves were completed they still needed something. They needed numbers. And with 25 cubbys in need of numbers I needed to find an inexpensive way to create metal numbers.

My plan was to print out numbers on clear address labels and affix them to a soda can.

The numbers and ovals were lined up in a word processing program so that the numbers fit on my AVERY clear address labels. You can find a free downloadable at the link below.

I washed out a soda can. It was extremely easy to cut off the top and bottom of the can with simple household scissors.

Affixed the labels to the can and cut out each of the numbers leaving a bit of a gap around the outside of the oval.

While the labels are clear, they are more of an opaque kind of clear, they don’t quite let the shininess of the can shine through.

By scratching off some of the labels opaque finish with a screwdriver, I was able to see a bit of the shiny metal shining through.

Finished my “vintage” numbers with a bit of tinted wax dabbed on with a Q-tip. The wax is the same wax I use with chalk paint. Voila, vintage number plates!

The number plates were attached to the cubby shelves with 2 tacks.

If you need more pictures or the free downloadable number sheet click on the link below.

If you would like to make the cubby shelves, you can find them here. They are way easier than they look. You may be surprised.

http://scavengerchic.com/2016/03/21/pallet-wood-cubby-organizer-shelves/

Quick Easter Egg Ideas That Are Just Too Cute
15 Totally Doable Makeover Ideas You Can Finish In One Day
15 Perfectly Round Tables
3 Easy Ways To Upgrade Your Pillows To A High End Look
20 Ways To Incorporate Mosaics Into Your Home
31 Brilliant Ways To Repurpose Everyday Items Into Perfect Organizers
Old License Plates Lying Around? Check Out These 28 Snazzy Decor Ideas
3 Super Cool Marbelizing Techniques Everyone's Trying!
Grab Some Pool Noodles And Copy These 3 Ideas
3 Brilliant Ideas How to Use Photo Frames
25 Ways You Can Be an Artist - With No Experience Necessary!
23 Adorable Ways You Can Make Your Own Coasters
3 Simple Green Ways To Clean In Your Home
The 25 Most-Viewed Mason Jar Projects on Hometalk
ScavengerChic

• Gloria gawa

Don't think I would have thought of this one. How sharp are the edges?

• Debora

You could run an Emery board on the edge, or coat it with clear nail polish if you're worried about sharpness.

• Wendy Wincell

Where is the download for your labels?

• Elaine

Good morning, I just love the labels you made out of the soda cans! My question to you is, how did you get the oval so perfect? I know I won’t be able to cut them like that. Is there a trick to a perfect oval?

• Debora

I wonder if there might be a cricut type punch that would work. Or maybe you could very carefully make one template out of tagboard with an exacto knife and place it over each number & cut them out.