Mark
Mark
  • Mount Airy, MD

Hanging Basket Column

$20
1 Day

This project is an expansion from my first project on Hometalk (Pallet Planter Box) posted 2+ years ago. The pallet planters are holding up great but the finish was looking dull after a couple of years in the sun. I decided to refinish them with a darker walnut stain (vs. original red oak). At the same time, I thought it would be a good time to upgrade the planters.
hanging basket column, container gardening, gardening, pallet
To provide flowers for the deck, my wife had been talking about a hanging basket column that could be placed in the ground or in pots.
We found something we liked in a catalog; but to me, the price of $86 per column seemed pretty high for something so simple.
So, I created this very simple project from 4x4 lumber, end caps, base plates and hangers.
I made it a little more complicated by cutting down the 4x4s to match the decorative end cap dimensions but that isn't really necessary.
We are very happy with the results and the cost; it was less than $20/post to make. Now we have hanging baskets and the planters to provide seasonal flowers
Build Instructions:

• Pallets
  • 4x4

To see more: http://www.instructables.com/id/Hanging-Basket-Column/