Judy
Judy
  • Tutorial Team
  • Granbury, TX

Update!!! From Outdated Soffits to Usable Space

I was tired of the outdated look of my soffits, after scouring the web for ideas I came up with these. I love the extra space and the look!!
from outdated soffits to usable space, kitchen cabinets, kitchen design, shelving ideas, storage ideas
Update!! The other side is finished and the cabinets painted to match.
The new "Open Soffits" really make the room feel taller!!
Checked for wiring and available space.
I decided to create a box frame to insert into the empty framed space.
After sanding, joint compound and more sanding, I was close to my desired result!!
A little caulk to close some spaces, and a couple coats of paint and I was there :)
I love the look, although I still need to paint my cabinets a brighter white.

• RJ

How do I determine what is behind the dry wall. I always thought it was “vent” work...awesome job

• Angela

I have soffits around my kitchen also. If I remove the soffits, can I raise my cabinets up? My Keurig and stand mixer will not fit under my cabinets. They need to move up about 5-6 inches. Thanks for your advice.

• Christine

I'm confused...in one pic the new space on the wall with the sink is open on the front. In another pic, it is covered. Is it a door or did you just decide to cover it all for aesthetics?

• Sylvia Head-Gallegos

I use my Black & Decker Electric Broom like a leaf blower, except at a lesser velosity, INSIDE the house with fans blowing outward and ceiling vents running, ALL ON HIGH!!! With a mask & goggles on, I go around a room and spray a mist of water & VINEGAR to dampen the fly away dust particles... So that when I run the vacuum cleaner around, the dampened, not wet, dust particles are easier to capture!!!

I call it my "Blow Out Daze"!!!

• Angela

• I will I happened to have that upper space but was afraid to open it Now I will have another space in my small kitchen( galley and short ) 1 cabinet upper and lower , 1 window, 1 cabinet upper , lower. back door ,Laundry unit at end wall , u shape room , door next wall , small wall, Fridg , space trash can only, stove wall , door to dinnind room , table 4 chairs only fit Very small areas no storage and no space

• Kathrynbelle1999

yes, I have been wanting to do this for a long time in my kitchen and have been looking for instructions. I don't want to totally remove them, just open them up so I can use that space for collectibles . thanks, even though you didn't go into much detail, I think I can figure it out. thanks again.