Vintage Drexel Rope and Tassel Arm Chair Makeover

$60.00

If you are a patient person, it can be well worth your time to recreate something tired and old, into something fabulous and bold!
I was given a set of 4 vintage Drexel Rope and Tassel arm chairs from a friend. They were so tired and worn.
I took the seat and back off, took out a million staples then sanded, and sanded, and sanded some more! (I think my neighbors hate me)! lol
Next I used "Classic Gray" stain by Minwax and while it was wet, I lightly dragged white paint to highlight. It takes a long time to dry, but worth it for the look I was going for. I had to cut out a new seat as the old one disintegrated.
I re upholstered with a whimsical tropical fish upholstery fabric I found on line.
The back was very hard for me to do because it's hollow and there was only a little bit of wood to staple into and I had to do the front and back separately. After much frustration, this is how it turned out! (This was my first time doing hollow back chairs).
I actually received 4 chairs, and to date have finished 2. Thanks for lookin' :)

• Plywood for new seats.  (Left over from another project.)
  • Upholstery fabric  (Ebay)

To see more: http://www.facebook.com/junkdrunkrepurposedstuff

• Mickey Baron

Are all 4 going at the same table? If so, will you be using this same fantastic fish fabric on the other 2? LOVE your redo, it's a stunner.

• Suzette

Thank you Mickey! Yes they will all be the same. The other two chairs need some restoration before I can finish them, but in the mean time, I built the table I'll be using with them, and will create a post for that as well soon! :)

• C Crow

Looks great. Did you reuse the old padding under the new upholstery? If you replaced it, please share how you did that and with what. Thank you.

• Bxg272651

It is superb!🌺

• Sha4457197

That is absolutely gorgeous!! Everything works together so beautifully! LOVE that fabric!

• Suzette

@Shangrila427 Thank you so much! I fell in love with the fabric as soon as I saw it! It sort of glows in dim light which I just noticed the other day. Pretty neat stuff! :)