Chairished Furnishings
Chairished Furnishings
  • Portland, OR

Yard Sale Pub Table and Stools Makeover

A while back, I became fixated with the idea of trying my hand at graphics transfer. It's not like wetting down a bubble gum tattoo, but does kind of have some similarities. I first had to find something cheap (in case I wrecked it) and spotted this table and stools for $40. If you've ever searched for a second hand pub table, $40 is a steal. So here we go...
yard sale pub table and stools makeover, outdoor furniture, painted furniture, reupholster
$40 Yard Sale Pub Table and Stools
Next, I had to find a graphic I liked. I couldn't find a medallion graphic I liked but saw this wall decor on Houzz and enlarged it to the size I needed and printed it onto four sheets of 11x17 paper, then taped them all together. I purchased a roll of artist graphite paper at the art supply store and taped all the pieces together to cover the graphic. I laid the graphite paper graphite side down on the table, then layered the graphic over that and secured everything in place with painters tape. I traced over the graphic using a ball point pen until I was sure all lines had been drawn over.
Oops! Before I began tracing, I had to sand and prep the table! Here it is as-is when I brought it home.
After lifting off the graphic and graphite paper, I used an oil based paint pen and traced over the graphite tracing. Yep, it's tedious!
After the graphic was completely painted onto the table top, I applied prestain, then stained the table.
Another view before Polycrylic was applied
After the entire table had been deglossed, sanded and stained
I wanted the stools to be a little more dressy than the usual. Maybe a bit too formal but here they are
Closeup of one of the seats. I had removed the original nail trim carefully so that I could reuse it. It was easy to reattach following the original perforation marks.
Finished set
Another view of the finished set It sold fairly quickly
yard sale pub table and stools makeover
I found this re-listed on Craigslist. They apparently don't use it :(
yard sale pub table and stools makeover
Close up of the upholstered seats with nail head trim
yard sale pub table and stools makeover
Finished Top

• Stain  (Home Depot)
  • Fabric  (JoAnn)
  • Pentel Paint Pen  (Amazon)

To see more: https://www.facebook.com/chairishedfurnishing/

• Margaret Adamski

Where did you got a pattern? from Amazon?

• Chairished Furnishings

I used AutoCAD to enlarge but I bet you could do the same thing in Photoshop or PowerPoint. Just draw quadrants and place on four separate pages

• Carol Brown Hargrave

Gorgeous set- I do have a question - what is prestain?

• Chairished Furnishings

It's a wood conditioner that allows the wood to accept the stain more evenly. It's sold right near the rest of the wood stain products at Home Depot :)

• Laurie

What color pre-stain and stain did you use and what type of finisher? It's gorgeous!

• Chairished Furnishings

Hi Laurie - apologies for my delayed response. Just seeing this now. I honestly don't remember the color of stain I used and I think I used Minwax Pre-stain. The top coat is just Polycrylic Satin finish.