Spray Paint a Rug? Sure.

I wanted to jazz up a rug for my front deck. But without spending any money, as usual.
So I took three items to use as stencils...a pizza round, a Dollar Store plate and a saucer. Then I used spray paint I already had on hand.
I used the bright turquoise spray paint I'd already used on my deck chairs. Deep breath and here I go!
Flat black and flat white spray paint which I already had in my stash. The cheap kind from Walmart. Here's a tip-I wiped the edges of the plate and saucer after each use to remove the wet paint from the previous color. This prevents "drip rings" on your rug. Also, I should have worn latex gloves!
I used brown craft paint to touch up the brown spray paint which did not cover well at all. Yum, chocolate brown craft paint in a sundae glass.
Crikey! I LOVE how this came out! And I didn't have to spend any money, which is always a good thing in my book!
Here's the boring tan rug before. What a difference some spray paint can make!

Ann

• Jacquelin Stutz Mullin

First off, looks great! I rent but with great landlords. They have always worked with me. I have a "Florida Room" that has a steel blue, indoor/outdoor carpet. They have given me a budget to replace it, but what a better time to try a new project on an old stained up rug?

My question, how does it feel to walk on the paint. Trying to imagine how it will feel on bare feet as I have my 5yr old grandson to consider. Does the paint crack or chip?

Whatever your answer, it looks fabulous.

• Sharon Gehrke Wolf

I Love it! Going to do this with my family room rug. We have very sheddy dogs so I want to use an indoor outdoor rug.

• Itsmemic

how did you lift the plates off the rug easily?

• Carol Stephenson-Walter

How about making a handle out of tape on each object you use. That should work. Just leave it on and hope it work out until you are finished.

• Sarah Jackson Bell

Do you have to spray anything on it? If it gets wet will it bleed?

• Rae

Been wanting to do this for ever. I love the blend of colors which makes it less formal looking. Soon as the weather breaks i will have less leftover spray cans of paint in my storage! Thanks! Even if it only lasts a season or two what an improvement it will be to my "cheapy" rug! Thanks

• Lorraine Phillips

I love it!