Gary Hardman
Gary Hardman
  • Tutorial Team
  • Springboro, OH

Folk Art Flag

$10

I have now looked at a baby bed head board for a year and wondered what to do with it. With the 4th of July fast approaching this revelation occurred.
folk art flag, crafts, patriotic decor ideas, seasonal holiday decor
The raw materials were also in my garage. Are cars supposed to go in garage? Anyway, Materials used: -baby crib head board -upholstery straps for stripes -a square of cork board, -wood stars from craft store -red, white and blue spray paint. Time- 4 hours
I started by painting frame white. I cut upholstery straps to weave i n between rails and painted them red and white. I painted stars white and cork board blue.
I then wove painted straps through rails and attached with staple gun. I then arranged and glued stars onto cork board and glued to top left.
This was a fun easy project and I can do another one with the matching head board for a friend.
folk art flag
Here is a flag made from the side rail. It’s great that you can get 4 flags from one baby crib.

• Chair strapping  (Amazon)
  • Red white and blue enamel paint  (Ace Hardware)
  • Baby Crib  (Garage sale)

• M.kupiec

Did you paint the upholstery strips before you nailed them to the frame?

• Linda

Hot glue will come loose if this sits in the direct sun. I've lost flowers out of wreaths on the front door because of the direct sun!

• Cindy Landrum

Where did you buy the upholstery strap?

• Cindy Landrum

No Lori, not the same thing. I actually want upholstery strap for a set of vintage chairs I'm refinishing. However, burlap would most likely work for this project.

• Darla

My straps just soak up the paint, what did you use?