Sarah M
Sarah M
  • Carthage, MO

Creating a Fairy Garden Out of a Old Cement Flower Urn....

I had flowers planted in this urn. I decided to turn it into a fairy garden.
creating a fairy garden out of a old cement flower urn , concrete masonry, crafts, gardening
I left the dirt in the urn, and added pea gravel in the sections where needed.
A close up photo of the flower garden area made from artificial greenery, moss and flowers. I added a homemade pond and placed a seating bench in the garden to complete the scene.
A close up photo of the seating area. Placed artificial flowers, moss and plants behind and around the building, and added a bench, table and a chair for the Fairies to sit in. I placed a cat on the table for added interest.
For the small sized fairy house, I used a large rock to give the house height.
I added artificial moss on top of the rock. I added some additional flowers, a bird bath and a hanging basket of flowers.
The final step was adding the fairy house on top of the moss covered rock.
A photo of the completed fairy garden project. This was a fun project. I love creating fairy gardens!

• Pgl

Wonderful use of imagination. How do you keep the rain off so that the rain does not erode your garden?

• Sarah M

@Pgl , that is no problem at all regarding the weather. Everything is made out of resin or ceramic, so it withstands the elements just fine. I have soil and pea gravel, so the rain just soaks in. I keep fairy gardens out for 9 months out of the year.

• Meh7108293

Same questions where did you buy all the things for the fairy house?

• Karen Hyde

The Dollar Tree had some this year and they went faster than chocolate on sale. Big Lots also has some. I also look for items at the thrift stores and at estate and garage sales-also a good place for containers. And then there's making your own from clay that you bake. Fun, fun, fun.
  • Irene

Love your fairy garden, and many others I've seen on line. What holds me back is what does the weather do to your garden? I mean, it looks like yours is outside (as are most of them). A good rain, snow or hail storm would make it look more like New Orleans after Katrina. Can't always be on the spot with a plastic sheet handy. How do you protect it from the elements?

• JoAnn Dibeler

I built a log cabin with my 7 yr old grandson out of thin twigs we collected in the woods, with a tiny mailbox. He is now 26 yrs old so as far as I know fairie gardens weren't even on the horizon yet. He has a 6 yr old 1/2-sister and it would be fun to do one with her but she lives 2,000 miles away. . . I have a whole board pinned with ideas on Pinterest and I hope to get down to business soon.

• Sarah M

That is a perfect age to make a fairy garden with!...old enough to help create it!...

• Meh7108293

Thank you all for suggestion re purchasing small items. I am from Canada so I hope I am able to get all I need. I simply loves yours and will try to build one with my grand daughters. Mehrun

• Sarah M

@Mehrun If you don't have the same stores in Canada, then your best bet would be to order online. There are many fairy garden online sites to choose from. Once you create your first fairy garden, you will be hooked!...I sure was!