DIY Beaded Hanging Basket

$20

This week I had the exciting honor of participating in the Summer Blogger Challenge. For this season, we created projects using in Bloom beads by Bead Design. I went straight to the garden for my project, and updated an ordinary hanging basket with a splash of dazzling summer color!
I started with an ordinary plastic hanging basket, a packaged wire hanger, a roll of 22-gauge jewelry wire, a pretty pot of Calibrachoa, and of course, the beads!
Because my pot only needed 3 wires for the hanger, I simply snipped the fourth one off.
The plastic pot had those really nice hangers that clip on and come off easily - without destroying the pot - so it was a breeze to take them off and prepare the new hanger. I found a chair and got comfy stringing beads. I chose a random pattern, so the work went quickly. This was the most time-consuming part of the entire project, but only took about half an hour. I strung enough beads to match the length of 3 of the hanger wires.
Next, I wrapped the strand of beads around the wires on the hanger, giving it a nice twist around after every third bead. This attached the beads to the wire hanger and kept them from sliding around along the jewelry wire. Stopping 2 inches below the end of the hanger wire, I twisted the jewelry wire around the hanger wire a few times to secure it, clipped the end, and repeated the process for the other two hanger wires.
Then it was time to fill the pot with flowers...
and attach the hanger by running the final two inches of bare wire through the holes on the pot rim, and twisting it into the inside of the pot.
I loved how it turned out and the sparkly addition it lends to the summer garden area.
The best part of the challenge was taking a basic craft item and coming up with a fun and creative way to use it. I loved this challenge and because I joined 7 other bloggers to do it, I now have 7 more ideas for my extra beads! Visit the blog for snapshots and links to their fabulous projects too!
This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

30 Stylish Update Ideas You'll Want To Use For Your Bedroom
Try These Gorgeous Ideas And The Mailman Will Never Miss Your Mailbox!
Super Cool Painting Techniques You've Probably Never Seen!
Beautify Your Home With These Flower Ideas
15 Ways to Spice up Your Floors
18 Ideas to Keep You From Feeling Blue
17 Benches You Can Build This Summer
Instantly Upgrade Your Living Space With These Amazing DIY Ideas
Do Your Kitchen Cabinets Need an Update?
To Work With My Hands

• Lori greenberg

Couldyou just thread the beads right onto the wire you used to hang the pot or is that wire too thick for the beads?

• To Work With My Hands

It's too thick for the beads. If you found beads with larger holes, you could certainly do that. The pot I referenced in my blog post came that way.

• Susan Leifeld

Why didn't you wrap the beaded wire around the hook of the hanger? I think that would give it an even more finished look. What do you think?

• To Work With My Hands

Hi Susan, It would probably give it a more finished look, but I wonder if it would create stability problems. We get some pretty powerful thunderstorms with lots of wind here in the summer. Just the plain hanger would be less likely to fall, I would think. That's a great idea, however, for calmer areas. Thanks for asking!

• Shirley

Karen, I'm tickled that this is something even I am able to do and I will :)) but, I can't take my eyes off that birdbath ! Thanks , nice photo.

• To Work With My Hands

I'm so glad you like it, Shirley! I love the birdbath too, but have to take no credit for it! It was in our backyard when we bought our house this spring. I'll enjoy it for a long time, I am sure!

• Cmoonlitwolf

Nice! I need to use all the beads I have to make something. This is a really cute idea.