Recycled Spice Bottle to Wind Chime and Decor

I had a old spice bottles laying around and I finally got this easy idea to turn it into a wind chime. And they also double up as pretty decor when filled with water and flowers! I have been working on sprucing up our patio This was the perfect addition to the patio decor!
Step 1: Clean your bottles – Mine very very dusty from sitting in the garage and a few old coloring trials. I washed the bottles by hand and then gave them a pass through the dishwasher for good measure.
Step 2 – Color them – Once they were dry, I gave them a couple coats of the glass paint and baked them in the oven per the directions.
Step 3 – Tie them up – I gave the wire 3-4 passes around the neck followed by lots of twisting in the end to make them secure. I cut the wires at varying approximate lengths.
Step 4 – Tie them to the pipe clamp – I tied them to the pipe clamp at different lengths, making sure there was a little overlap between the bottles to bump and be wind chimes.
Step 5 – Tie a couple loops of wire to the top for hanging and hang it up!
The wind chime works pretty great because the bottles are heavy enough that they don’t move a lot in the wind. But when they do, they make really subtle sounds. And I love to fill it with fresh flowers when company is over and it make beautiful decor too! The water makes it heavy and they don’t move in the wind too much, but you can still hear little clinks in strong winds.
This makes the perfect addition to our patio which recently got a curbside rescued patio set which I redid and I also built the super easy outdoor coffee table. for under $15! My patio now has lots of appeal and was mostly free... the best sort of price!

• Any kind of bottles to upcycle
  • Transparent glass paint  (craft store)
  • Foam brush  (craft store)

Anika Gandhi

• Lovesunique

This is so cute and putting flowers in the jars when company comes---very pretty. Does the paint fade at all? In one picture the bottles look clear. Also, what gauge wire did you use?

• Patti

Do you have any suggestions what to do with plastic prescription bottles. I have a bunch just hanging around doing nothing. Thanks
    • Sco27734080

In USA , Ga. they have just started recycling them. I just take the labels off while watching television. It' amazing how fast they accumulate.

• M.L. Friel

You have a list of "Suggested Materials"...Where did the metal ring that the bottles come from? You've give everything Except Where you obtained it oror What the metal ring is made of...

thanks, Margaret

• Sandy Davis

Check out Big Lots. They usually have them in their kitchen stuff for less than a dollar, or else check the Dollar Tree for the glass salt shakers.

• Lia Liz Noland Rohrbach

So cute and clever! My only issue would be the glass breaking if windy but you seem to feel confident about them not breaking. I would still, most likely, bring them in if there was a storm!