Kelleysdiy
Kelleysdiy
  • Palm Springs, CA

Celebrating 4th Of July!!!!

Independence Day is arriving soon! Over the past few days, I have been putting together a couple of centerpieces, Firecracker Centerpiece on the left of the picture, and the Flower Centerpiece on the right. I also made 2 candle holders from wood posts, and a pinwheel garland...lots of fun and easy for you to also create! Almost everything was recycled items.
celebrating 4th of july , crafts, how to, patriotic decor ideas, seasonal holiday decor
Let's start with the firecrackers and pinwheel centerpiece above on the left side . It is decorated with firecrackers, pinwheels a huge rocket getting ready to take off and 3 solar lights to keep it lit up at night. For the firecrackers, here's what I did... for the 3 smaller firecrackers in front, I used 4 Toilet paper rolls. Three of them were used for the firecrackers and 1 to cut lengthwise and use to trace the circles for the tops. I put a hole in each circle and pulled the rope thru.
I took 3 coordinating papers and cut and glued them onto the 3 TP rolls. I then made the pinwheels that are in the Firecracker Centerpiece.
You can see full tutorials at: http://www.hometalk.com/17916841/pinwheels and http://www.hometalk.com/17952235/pinwheels
Pinwheels for the Firecracker Centerpiece were made this way:
The first thing I did was take each scrapbook paper and cut 5 squares. After your squares are cut, glue two coordinating colors together back to back with white glue.When your squares have dried, take one and your ruler, and draw a line diagonally corner to corner.This will create a X. See full tutorial at : kelleysdiy.com
Patriotic Candle Holders:
I had some 4x4 post pieces left over from building the pergola. I cut 2 to the size I wanted. I then took Rustoleum White Blossom and sprayed the whole post. Tip: I always spray white first so the colors that I paint on top will pop! I
I made stripes with Frogtape 1 7/8" where I wanted to paint the red stripes.
I removed the tape. Then painted the top blue. Added Stars to 2 sides on blue
Flower Centerpiece, think it is adorable and makes a cute centerpiece! To make this you start with about 8 empty toilet paper rolls, or a couple of paper towel empty rolls.
You can see below. To make the flowers, you cut the toilet paper roll in half. I then cut each in half again to make 4 pieces. There you have your petals. You put 4 of them together with white glue, pin with paper clip, clothespin, etc till they dry. For the leaves, you cut one of the pieces 3 times.
You can see above...the thin ones to the far right are the leaves. I painted them easily with acrylic paint. I tried once spray painting, but didn't take the color well. I put a Rhinestone, coordinating paper in the center of flowers.
You can use a skewer, straw or stick for the stems. I then shredded up left over paper from the firecrackers and previous projects. I took a Pretzel container, you know those big plastic ones, and cut off about 2/3. I then took Mod Podge and spread on the outside of the plastic. I then took a couple of napkins with the flag on it, and placed them on careful not to wrinkle too much.
To make the Q Tip sparkler..... You glue 4-5 Q Tips to the end of your skewer/straw at a angle. Paint one color. Add some of the foil shreds inside between the Q Tips.
Garland Pinwheels: For this project you will need Scrapbook pages in patriotic colors. You start by cutting the paper in half. Take one half and start at the widths end, and fold under and fold back over like you're making a fan, like above
Then you fold it in half again, and press down on the folded part really hard with your fingers to strengthen that fold. Be sure the ends line up with each other and glue the ends together. You can use Aleenes tacky glue or hot glue.
Now take the two ends and bring together and glue...it will look like this:
I continued to make a few of these with different scrapbook pages. I added a couple to the firecracker centerpiece, and the rest went on a garland I made in the background. More tutorials on my website
This was such a fun project...I love all of them! Thank you so much for looking at my post!

• 10 pieces of Scrapbook paper/construction paper
  • Rope about 2ft
  • White glue, tacky glue and hot glue
Kelleysdiy

• Dorothy Backus

Hi.e. many scrapbook papers do you use for each project? With 10 papers listed in the materials wasn't sure. And do I have to cut all 10 papers into squares? Also with the Q tip sparklers you said something about add some of the foil shreds inside between the Q tips. What foil shreds are you talking about? I don't see that listed.

• Kelleysdiy

Hi Dorothy. If you look at the post towards the bottom, it explains how to make the pinwheel. The number of scrapbook pages depends on how many pinwheels you want to make for your garland. You use 1/2 a scrapbook page for each. In my post I mentioned 10 scrapbook pages, that was my total for the pinwheels, and the firecrackers. If you go over to my post at kelleysdiy

you will see all the instructions. The shredded foil is from the dollar store in the gift wrap dept.