Updating an Old Bathroom Vanity

So many of us have builder grade bathrooms that are fully functional and practical but yet lack basic appeal.
If spending $5K+ is not in the books for you, what can you do to give new life to an old bathroom?
Create a new colour palette and make a few minor adjustments!
Now—of course—if you have hideous coloured tiles from the 1930’s then I’m sorry, not even new paint will help you. However, if you do have a neutral tile similar to what you see in my main bath then there’s a light at the end of the tunnel.
My plan for this bathroom is to do a classic black and white theme. By covering the pink walls with white paint, all that dated wall and shower tile recedes into the background, like magic! It a great way to camouflage the problem areas and create focal points with colour (in my case—using black).
Moving on to the vanity, I begin by removing the pink countertop and cabinet hardware. I’m going to be re-positioning the holes for the hardware so I fill them prior to priming the unit.
Painting everything in its place, I used the colour Graphite (1603) from Benjamin Moore, which by the way is one of my favourite shades of black. I would describe it as a chalky black. It has a bit of a grey undertone to it................
Since we also got rid of the pink countertop, we replaced it with this faux marble laminate. I used a high quality formica laminate from Belanger Laminates which almost looks like the real thing.
Last but not least, the hubs installed a new sink and faucet. You can easily use your old sink and faucet if you really wanted to keep costs low but since the vanity is the only place we are really spending any money, we decided to switch the fixtures as well.
For more details, please visit PLN's post by clicking the link below....

30 Neat Ideas To Upgrade Your Backyard
26 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You REALLY Excited for Christmas
Here's How You Can DIY The Hottest Home Decor Trends of 2018
30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
18 Beautiful Crafts For The 4th of July
3 Weird Step-by-Step Ways to Decorate Your Plain Tea Towels
Sabrina

• Mary
    Mary

I have shop tube lighting in my (1980's) bathroom. How can this be changed? It throws shadows everywhere.

• Lana
      Lana

Mary, I feel your pain!!💁‍♀️⚡🤦‍♀️ UGHHH!! Those are AWFUL, whether in old kitchens or in bathrooms!! 🙈⚡🙈 They were installed in the 90's, too... Let us know how you solve getting rid of these eyesores, thanks!!😎

• Dig3620745
    Dig3620745

What prep work needed to be done to the cupboards before painting

• Wil6627669
      Wil6627669

You should sand the wood and clean it with TSP before painting. A little Wagner Paint Easy conditioner added to the paint will stop the lines that a paint roller causes. It works great, but preparation is about 90% of the job. I painted all my kitchen cabinets black and added stainless hardware and you can't see the lines at all.

• S
    S

were you going for a retro-60's/70's vibe with that hardware in the middle of the cabinets?

• Kia
    Kia

The bathroom turned out really nice. I'm interested in the counter. Can you take an upclose picture of the edges. It really does look like the real deal.

• Beth
    Beth

Looks good, but I don't know why you'd want to reach down so far to open the cabinets. Placing the rings in the center of the doors is too high on uppers and too low on lowers!