Upcycled/Repurposed Crib into Toy Box Bench

My cousin gave me a "curbed" crib she no longer wanted. I had no idea what I wanted to do with it, until I saw a similar project, and I was inspired to make this kids toy box bench. You can see a step by step tutorial on my blog, My Repurposed Life http://bit.ly/K9NUzG
This is the crib I started with. This style of crib is not real sturdy, that's why it took me a while to figure out what to do with it.
I cut one of the pieces shorter, and then in half. (note:I used two scrap pieces of wood to support the slats until I got them secure later in this project)
I built a box out of 1x10's using pocket hole screws. I used a piece of plywood for the bottom. (I dry fit it all together with clamps)
I used screws through each of the side slats and the back of the bottom brace to attach the box to the new bench.
I embellished the front of the box with the bottom of the crib piece I cut off. I think this is what makes this bench come together. It ties it all in.
I added hinges and a safety hinge (not shown) I painted it a very light blue/green. Note: I drilled holes in the bottom for ventilation in case a child closes the lid while in the box.
Voila! I love how this project came together. Remember, you can see a step by step tutorial on my blog. My Repurposed Life http://bit.ly/K9NUzG

Gail--My Repurposed Life

• John

I made this for my great grand daughter out of her mother's old crib.

, upholstery decals from Hobby Lobby
  • Judith Otis-Menke

i did this with my son's single bed used the head board and the foot turned out super cute gonna give it to him at his wedding if or when he gets married just headed to college this year.