Cheryl Phan
Cheryl Phan
  • Hometalk Helper
  • West Palm Beach, FL

Tin Ceiling on a BUDGET

$100

Inspired by the beauty of tin ceilings but don’t want to pay the high price of real tin? Not sure how to get the tin look without bankrupting your wallet? Would you like to learn how to get the Tin Ceiling on a budget?

Read On! You won’t believe what this was made from.
Many of my clients think that tin ceilings are expensive and a luxury for the wealthy and in many cases they are right. Tin ceilings can get a little pricy running between $10-$50 per panel, not to mention the cost of installation. A more affordable alternative can be achieved with faux tin (Embossed wallpaper) and it looks like the real thing.

Let me walk you through the steps. It’s really easy and will save you a lot of money.
Applying the wallpaper: I’m going to give you a link to go to to learn how to hang wallpaper because I took the easy way out and hired someone to hang it for me. I’m a decorative artist/faux finisher not a paper hanger. I’ll be the first one to tell you I don’t like hanging wallpaper. So my motto is “Do what you love and hire someone to do the rest”.
Painting the wallpaper: Once the wallpaper is applied, let it dry over night. Then paint two coats metallic paint. I choose Modern Masters Olympic Gold.
As you can see I also painted the air condition vent. If you’re going to paint the vent you need to spray it with primer first. Then paint on the gold metallic paint.

Staining: Let the paint dry then apply the stain with a chip brush and rub it off with a clean rag. Try not to over lap.

Doesn't it look like real tin???

If you have any questions or need some help selecting colors join my group “Ask Cheryl Phan” and I’ll be glad to help.

Thank you for stopping by!

Are you subscribed to my blog?

If not I’d love to share more techniques with you. Sign up here!

Cheryl Phan

• Mary

The ceiling looks beautiful, BUT, how do you clean it?

• Vickie

to cleaning, use a Swiffer .or soft brush attachment on vac. love this idea as we live in mobile home i.e. trailor with wood paneling floor to ceiling. to much. painted pan[eling looks just like that, ugh. this gives a cheaper way to revamp ceiling. out here we have to clean the ceilings. it is a must

• Pamela Horwath

Where did you get the wallpaper

• Tammy Sea

I have found this type of wallpaper at Lowe's and Home Depot. I used some about 15 years ago as a back splash in my kitchen. Painted it copper and it was stunning. Guests always had to touch it. LOL The paint wash washable as well.

• Krisla

Why use the stain?