DIY Mason Jar Light

$10
1.5 Hours

Give your boring bathroom light fixture a fun new update with this mason jar project! Try out this DIY for only about $10 and a couple hours of your time. If you're looking for more projects and home décor tips check out Elegance & Peonies!
Are you sick of looking at your plain, boring bathroom light fixture? I know I definitely was, especially when one of the glass shades broke and we didn’t get around to fixing it for months! I just couldn’t bring myself to spend money to replace something I didn’t even like. Finally I came across some gorgeous mason jar lights for sale but they were well over $100! I started thinking they couldn’t be that hard to make, and enlisted the help of my husband to turn them into a DIY project. This project can be a bit tricky with the wiring, please be careful and exercise caution.
To start the project you need to remove the light fixture from the wall. Then you are going to tape around the areas you don't want getting painted. Next you can spray paint your light fixture the colour of your choosing.
You will then draw a circle on the mason jar lid, using the ring from the current light fixture. Following this you will use a hammer and nail, or drill to cut out the circle.
Finally you will put the mason jar lids onto the existing light fixture socket, and put it back up on the wall. Then just screw in light bulbs and mason jars and you're done! You now have a beautiful new light fixture that you created!
For more detailed instructions on this project please visit my blog Elegance & Peonies.

• Mason Jars
  • Light Bulbs
  • Sharpie/Pen

30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
15 Amazing Projects To Help Make Your Home Look Fabulous
30 Gorgeous Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
25 Decor Ideas That Will Add Some Spring to Your Home
30 Ideas To Make Your Office Look Great
Keep Your Craft Supplies Organized With These Fun Storage Ideas
30 Amazing Ways To Organize Your Shoes
3 Weird Step-by-Step Ways to Decorate Your Plain Tea Towels
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
Alysha @ Elegance & Peonies

• What about vents for the heat from the light bulb to escape?

• Melanie

If you use real mason jars and LED lights, you won’t need vents.

Real mason jars (not ones designed just for decor) are made to withstand high temperature pressure canning, can be boiled, or baked in oven, and frozen... so light heat shouldn’t do anything to them. But if you are still concerned, go with LED lights that give off little to no heat and cost little $ to run... WIN WIN. 😉

• Do you not need to have vent holes for the heat from the bulbs to escape?

• Mark Escalera

the newer house hold and led lights have almost no heat on them at all. you can unscrew a modern lightbulb that's been on for a long time without burning yourself unlike the old school lights

• Susan

Do you glue the lids on to the sockets of the light fixture. I know that's what the hole is for but how do you keep them from slipping off?

• HandyGirl

There is a threaded piece that held the original shade onto the fixture. When you remove the old shades just save those and use then to attach your lids. If you have the old style fixture where the shades have a rim and there are screws that you lightly screw into the sides so they will hold the shade—You might be able to cut the hole in the lid, attach to the jar, put your bulbs in the fixture, then hold the jar in the proper position while you screw those little screws into the area under the bottom rim of the jar lid. If you have that kind of fixture, you can make the hole in the lid large enough to allow heat to escape. No idea how it would look from underneath, though.

• Annie Doherty

Alysha inspired use of the Mason jars this looks chic, industrial and high end, I love your post thanks for sharing you must be delighted with them, hugs.

• Gail lichtsinn

Mason Jars can be used in the freezer or a high temperature pressure canner. Its tempered glass

• HandyGirl

I imagine the concern is overheating the light fixture not damaging the glass. I have read warnings on certain light fixtures that have enclosed covers. There’s a special type bulb that’s intended for those lights and the bulbs somehow dissipate heat better. Also more expensive. Using the wrong bulb voids warranty on the light fixture.