DIY Mason Jar Light

$10
1.5 Hours

Give your boring bathroom light fixture a fun new update with this mason jar project! Try out this DIY for only about $10 and a couple hours of your time. If you're looking for more projects and home décor tips check out Elegance & Peonies!
diy mason jar light, how to, lighting, mason jars, repurposing upcycling
Are you sick of looking at your plain, boring bathroom light fixture? I know I definitely was, especially when one of the glass shades broke and we didn’t get around to fixing it for months! I just couldn’t bring myself to spend money to replace something I didn’t even like. Finally I came across some gorgeous mason jar lights for sale but they were well over $100! I started thinking they couldn’t be that hard to make, and enlisted the help of my husband to turn them into a DIY project. This project can be a bit tricky with the wiring, please be careful and exercise caution.
To start the project you need to remove the light fixture from the wall. Then you are going to tape around the areas you don't want getting painted. Next you can spray paint your light fixture the colour of your choosing.
You will then draw a circle on the mason jar lid, using the ring from the current light fixture. Following this you will use a hammer and nail, or drill to cut out the circle.
Finally you will put the mason jar lids onto the existing light fixture socket, and put it back up on the wall. Then just screw in light bulbs and mason jars and you're done! You now have a beautiful new light fixture that you created!
For more detailed instructions on this project please visit my blog Elegance & Peonies.

• Mason Jars
  • Light Bulbs
  • Sharpie/Pen
Alysha @ Elegance & Peonies

• What about vents for the heat from the light bulb to escape?

• Melanie

If you use real mason jars and LED lights, you won’t need vents.

Real mason jars (not ones designed just for decor) are made to withstand high temperature pressure canning, can be boiled, or baked in oven, and frozen... so light heat shouldn’t do anything to them. But if you are still concerned, go with LED lights that give off little to no heat and cost little $ to run... WIN WIN. 😉

• Do you not need to have vent holes for the heat from the bulbs to escape?

• MM

Yes I agree Sandra, think of all the globe lights and even the flush mount lights. Where's the difference? Even a light bulb is enclosed glass lol.

• Susan

Do you glue the lids on to the sockets of the light fixture. I know that's what the hole is for but how do you keep them from slipping off?

• Susan

Thanks, Alysha. They look great, by the way. It's funny how one small change like this makes such a large difference. For anyone concerned about the heat, there are drill bits for glass that I'm assuming would work on the Mason jars to drill out a hole in the bottom for air.

• Annie Doherty

Alysha inspired use of the Mason jars this looks chic, industrial and high end, I love your post thanks for sharing you must be delighted with them, hugs.

• Gail lichtsinn

Mason Jars can be used in the freezer or a high temperature pressure canner. Its tempered glass