Peggy Hill
Peggy Hill
  • Pocatello, ID

Painting a Front Walk

I had a problem with my front walk. it had a big hole that just seemed to get bigger every year, it got so big that we decided that it needed to be fixed. the hole was 3 feet wide and 4 feet long, so we filled in the hole, it took six bags of cement to fill it in. then I noticed that the hole was a different color then the rest of the front walk.
so I got this idea to paint the walk. I just didn't know how I was going to do it. I just didn't want to paint it all one color. then I saw a post of someone that painted their front porch with spray paint and a cement mold. I knew with the size of the walk way it would have taken a lot of spray paint. then I got an idea why not paint it with paint made for cement. I chose 5 colors, a light gray for the base color,( it took 2 1/2 gallons) and four for the stone look.( a gallon of each color) it took me 4 days to paint it. I had to let the base paint dry for 48 hours. or it would have been done in two days,
everyone that has seen it loves it. and now my neighbor wants to do t to his front walk. I want to thank that person with the mold idea for giving me my idea. I had so much fun. I have enough paint left over that I can do my back porch now.
I had a problem with my front walk.it had a big hole that just seemed to get bigger every year
after I filled in the hole, I noticed that the hole was a different color then the rest of the front walk.
I saw a post of someone that painted their front porch with spray paint and a cement mold.
first painted the red brick with barn yard red paint. then I painted the whole walk way a light gray color. and painted the red brick with barn yard red paint.
I even painted the steps with this paint. this paint is a heavier paint the other paints I think it has sand mixed in to it.
I chose dark brown, gray, tan and rust. for the stone look.
I had to do some free hand the mold didn't fit.
I then painted the stairs the dark brown
I even painted the cement steps by the front gate.  everyone who sees this loves the colors and makes my front yard look so much nicer
I even painted the cement steps by the front gate. everyone who sees this loves the colors and makes my front yard look so much nicer

• Sheryll S

Love it. I too used left over spray paint and that same mold to do my front stoop (a few years ago) and I never regretted doing it. I am trying to get it together (money, paint) to do my sidewalk and trying to decide on this stone look OR using cheap sponges for a brick pattern. I think the brick will work with the stone. What do you think? My house is concrete block with real brick trim under all the windows.

• Peggy Hill

I used the patio paint and it still looks great. It hasn't faded or chipped. . I have also done my small back patio the same way.

• Ott20919594

I also did this on my back patio using patio paint. I sponged on the paint in black, Browns, grey and tan so it looks like rocks. Also applied a sealer.

• Bonnie

I do have one question when you use the stencil , are you spray painting in each individual section ? and if so how do you avoid overspray?

• Icu33735879

It seems what she used is not a stencil, but a rubber deeper type item. I'm sure if you went and searched online...(like Menards or Home Depot, etc...) You could get a better idea...😀

• Icu33735879

By the way it shows you what materials she used if you scroll down from her pictures. And since it sits higher I don't think you should have any problems with over spray. Don't do it on a windy day....Hope this helps😁

• Barb

Be sure and put a sealer on it . This turned out nice ! but I don't see she did that after painting it.

• Mari Serna Rodriguez

She used the Killz waterproof sealer

• Joe Jones

She did use a sealer and she didn’t spray paint anything. She used patio acrylic paints. She said it two or three times throughout the write up.

she did use a stencil too ICU it’s a concrete stencil/stamp they are 3.5” thick so you can pour them full of concrete and get that shape. Lots of people use it to spray paint too. To stop over spray tape off the ones you aren’t painting yet and move it around doing one color at a time use paper and tape and go slow one rock or two at a time or just one color at a time taping up all that you aren’t painting

• Day20096925

I would love to try this on my porch! How long does this takes to dry?

• Joe Jones

Typical paint drying time 30-45 minutes with acrylic and you can touch it but it is going to depend on humidity and outside temp too.

• Joe Jones

• CJ Mac

Is there a way to make it sun safe??? I live in SW Florida and would love o do my driveway! But it is super hot and sunny almost all the time 🌴🌴🌴

• Terrie Day

How did this do in weather?

• Mari Serna Rodriguez

How much paint did it actually take ?

• Katie

been trying to figure out what to do with my front sidewalk and patio cause had same problem, big hole in walk just been patching each year..so gonna pressure wash first then dig out old cement and replace, then follow what you did. I do have one question? Did you use spray paint or did you mix colors using concrete paint?

• Bernadette

how did you paint with the concrete mode.

• Pat pacdits

You said you used paint for cement and the gray base was heavier.

What brand of paints used please?

• Mavis

In the winter with ice or snow, will it be ruined? Also won' t it hurt the paint?

• Barbara

Did you have to prepare the new cement with anything before painting? You've had a lovely idea.

• Happy Zinda Dil

What kind of paint did you use? I love this!

• Patty

What did you use to seal it?

• Staci Tongate Schuster

In the picture of the supplies she used there was Kilz exterior waterproofing. The step wasn’t included, but I’m going to assume she sealed it that way

• Irene Vega Fields

To me she used the kilz before. I also wanted to know what she used to cover the art paint. Has to be some kind of clear coat.

• Bil8100571

Many years ago I painted a large concrete stepping stone with a colorful picture of a tree frog. I first sprayed an exterior varnish over the whole stone to keep it from absorbing water that would pop any kind of paint off (the Kilz waterproofing would accomplish this on the sidewalk and steps. I used the patio paint, which is designed for outdoor projects. This stone stayed colorful for about 10 years (would have lasted longer if I hadn't thrown some snowmelt on the place where the snow covered my stepping stone - live and learn.

• Jenny Emerson

Is it slippery when wet?

• Shawna Stone

Yes mine is painted and it’s very slippery , it needs some texture to it if you’re using it as a walk way from experience.

• Judy A Svensson

You can add a little sand to prevent slipping or they sell an additive similar to prevent a slippery surface!

• Bev

I believe she mentioned that the paint a bit thicker and seemed to have sand in it. If not the seems perfect idea.

• Garyland Thompson

do u use gloss it to keep it shiny or waterproof?

• Spo24536926

What type of ceent did you use?

• Susan

My cement needs cleaning before I paint it. What do you recommend?

• Marian Goetsch Martinez

Is ok to use that paint on wood steps,as you say it's maybe got sand in it?

• Carol Jackson

Helps for traction as well as asthetic texture.

• Fran2

I have a small handicap ramp made of wood that I had painted with textured gray paint. It protected the wood and makes it slip resistant.

• Joanne

How is the paint holding up through the weather?

• Rose Brady

If you do the main sidewalk do you have to get city approval?

• Tri24200717

What a great idea. It adds so much to the entrance!

• Itkahs Emih

Omg I’m in love with this project of yours, wow & it turned out very pretty, good job!