Upcycled Wood Drawer

I was getting ready to toss my boys wooden desk but when I pulled the drawers out they said "keep me." I could see potential for an upcycle! I've seen people ModPodge paper napkins to wood and then sand it down for a distressed look and I had some napkins leftover from my baby shower that I loved! The desk drawers where the perfect small project to try ModPodging napkins to wood.
upcycled wood drawer, decoupage, how to, painting, repurposing upcycling, shelving ideas
What the drawers looked like before.
Leftover napkins from my baby shower. I opened them up and cut enough to cover the back of the drawer. I painted the whole thing white first and stained the bottom shelf a little darker than the original color. Once everything was dried I used ModPodge to glue the napkins to the back of the drawer. The little metal number is from Hobby Lobby, they sell them as a package.
I added a glass jar with flowers to the inside but you can add anything! Change it out for each season, add a picture or put hooks inside to hang little things.
I just hot glued the metal number to the top. The tacks that came with them were more for scrapbooking than wood.

• Wood, paint, napkins, stain, ModPodge
Desiree G

• Michelle

What paint and technique did you use on the desk in the photos?

• Desiree G

The blue one that the shadow box is sitting on? It's really beautiful buffet I picked up off of Craigslist. It was already finished like that but the top had vinyl tiles on it. I pulled them off, sanded and restained it. I know you can use stain and a used paint brush to get that dark glaze effect. Maybe I'll try to do post on that:)

• Grace

How about the fabric for the curtain? Would you tell me where you got it from? Thank you!

• Grace

Oh so they ARE curtains! Okay, thank you. I do have both Ross and TM, but never check their curtain section. Thank you!!

• MichelleB

I love this idea! I've been looking at drawer designs for awhile and noticed my husband has put a dresser out to go to the dump as it is broken. Just texted him and asked if it is real wood lol. I may have to save the drawers!

• Annette Hodge Steadham

Great job! I did these years ago but used left over wallpaper.