Frankieb
Frankieb
  • Chesapeake, VA

Painted Furniture----A 1940's Beauty's Transformation!

This 1940's dresser was headed for the trash heap but I managed to rescue it from a friend before the carnage could be completed. It was originally manufactured as a painted piece.
a 1940 s beauty s transformation , chalk paint, painted furniture
The top was painted as well but I failed to get a before pic prior to stripping and staining.
Just another view......First step was to get it cleaned and degreased and then lightly sand it all over. I removed the French hardware and soaked in degreaser before I spray painted them.
This is a detail of the raised shield on the front of the top drawer. I painted it in a stripe and then hand painted the monogram on it.
Here it is still in my shop. The paint finish is plaster of paris recipe chalk paint both the white and the gray. The biggest challenge was hand painting the intricate white decorative trim that is beautifully carved. After painting three coats I waxed the entire piece with clear wax. The top is coated in three coats of satin polyurethane with triple 0 steel wool used between coats.
Here it is proudly displayed in my home!!. This is at the top of my favorite rescue projects.

• Mickey Baron

The hardware was original? LOVE this piece!

• Frankieb

Yes the hardware was original but you can get repros just like it

• Robin P Rambeau

What is the advantage of chalk paint vs regular for this application?

• Frankieb

Hi Robin.... chalk paint is extremely durable, has a really nice mat finish and will cover just about any finish with little sanding or primer. Chalk paint is my preference for furniture pieces. I use the plaster of Paris recipe. Thanks for looking!!