Shawna Bailey
Shawna Bailey
  • West Orange, NJ

Get Your Carpet Smelling Fresh With This Eco Carpet Freshener

$0

I’m all about green cleaning ideas and homemade cleaning products. So when I found this recipe for a carpet freshener I thought, "let’s give it a try." We just got a second dog ( a cute puppy that has stolen our heats), and all our carpets could use a little freshening up. I was a little skeptical about this at first, but two days after I used it, a neighbor stopped by and took a deep breath and then asked me what yummy thing I was baking. She was so surprised when I told her it was my new carpet freshener. It definitely covered up the pet smells. Here’s the recipe:
eco carpet freshener
2 cups of Baking soda (in England it's called Soda Bi-Carb). This will help get rid of the smells already in your carpet.
eco carpet freshener
6 Bay leaves, add a lovely scent.
eco carpet freshener
1 Tablespoon of whole cloves will give the scent the extra level that will make your house smell delicious.
eco carpet freshener
1/2 cup cornmeal is used as a binder.
eco carpet freshener
1/2 cup corn starch is the second binder in this recipe. Step 1: Blend it up
eco carpet freshener
Mix it all up in a blender or a food processor. It took a little bit of time and I had knock the blender to get it to mix well. Step 2: Add to your jar
eco carpet freshener
Then scoop it out and put it into a sugar jar, a mason jar with holes, or even an old spice jar. Step 3: Sprinkle
eco carpet freshener
Sprinkle it on the carpet. Step 4: Vacuum
eco carpet freshener
Then vacuum it up, and your carpets will smell nice and fresh. My house hasn’t smelled this good in a while.
eco carpet freshener
What a life saver! Even now that the puppy is house trained we still had doggy smells. You know the ones that I'm talking about. We don’t smell them because we are used to them, but I’m sure our guests could smell them. So this carpet freshener came to the rescue.

• Rhonda

What is the difference in corn meal and corn starch ?

• Samantha Edwards

The recipe alls for both Ellen... cornmeal is the yellow (although sometimes white) stuff you use to make cornbread, fish breading, hushpuppies, etc. It's made by grinding dry corn kernels. Corn Starch is made from the insides of of the corn (it's what makes popcorn pop) and is usually found around the baking area or near oriental foods since it's commonly used in asian recipes as a sauce thickener and also in breading.

• Manya Ameri

Does any of these ingredients draw ants into the home...like the cornmeal?

• You can add Borax to the mixture. Borax will kill off ants 🐜 coming into your house. I believe most of the powder would be vacuumed out.

• Jill Hopkins

Are the cloves simply for scent? I’m wondering if cinnamon sticks could be used instead...

• Dione

2c baking soda, 1 c borax

• Beth
    30 minutes ago

So I made this yesterday. I saw in one post about using borox but with pets I wouldn't. I have a shark pet vacuum and it did fine I did 3 rooms and cleaned the filters after. I also used a plastic bag and smashe up the cloves and bay leaves before adding to the he first batch. Then why it was sitting on my rug I went back mixed up another batch I have several dried spices so I thought let's try, Lemon. I also added flavor/sented tea as that alone is an oder blocker and natural cleaner.

I loved it I used some of all 4 batches I made. Put the rest in jars. And had no issue. My house smells so good today! I love this!!