Get Your Carpet Smelling Fresh With This Eco Carpet Freshener

$0

I’m all about green cleaning ideas and homemade cleaning products. So when I found this recipe for a carpet freshener I thought, "let’s give it a try." We just got a second dog ( a cute puppy that has stolen our heats), and all our carpets could use a little freshening up. I was a little skeptical about this at first, but two days after I used it, a neighbor stopped by and took a deep breath and then asked me what yummy thing I was baking. She was so surprised when I told her it was my new carpet freshener. It definitely covered up the pet smells. Here’s the recipe:
2 cups of Baking soda (in England it's called Soda Bi-Carb). This will help get rid of the smells already in your carpet.
6 Bay leaves, add a lovely scent.
1 Tablespoon of whole cloves will give the scent the extra level that will make your house smell delicious.
1/2 cup cornmeal is used as a binder.
1/2 cup corn starch is the second binder in this recipe. Step 1: Blend it up
Mix it all up in a blender or a food processor. It took a little bit of time and I had knock the blender to get it to mix well. Step 2: Add to your jar
Then scoop it out and put it into a sugar jar, a mason jar with holes, or even an old spice jar. Step 3: Sprinkle
Sprinkle it on the carpet. Step 4: Vacuum
Then vacuum it up, and your carpets will smell nice and fresh. My house hasn’t smelled this good in a while.
What a life saver! Even now that the puppy is house trained we still had doggy smells. You know the ones that I'm talking about. We don’t smell them because we are used to them, but I’m sure our guests could smell them. So this carpet freshener came to the rescue.
This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

15 Ways To Upcycle And Create More Storage At The Same Time
Hometalk's Top 10 Spookiest Halloween Picks Of 2017
Spruce Up Your Plain Lamp With One Of These Great Ideas
Instantly Upgrade Your Living Space With These Amazing DIY Ideas
15 Unique Father's Day Crafts
31 Brilliant Ways To Repurpose Everyday Items Into Perfect Organizers
30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration

• Laurie Katz
    Laurie Katz

Beth what is your recipe?

• Kimberly
    Kimberly

I’m thinking of adding Diatomaceous earth to the recipe and am wondering if it could be a substitute the corn starch?

• Renee
      Renee

I would NOT put diatomaceous earth anywhere that it might get kicked up into the air where you might breathe it. Diatomaceous earth is a silica powder, and breathing it can cause lung disease called silicosis. Putting it into a powder that you sprinkle on the floor and vacuum up will almost certainly put silica into the air.

• Emmawilliams1
    Emmawilliams1

I would be leery of the cornmeal. Would it not invite carpet beetles? just wondering and yes, certain essential oils can cause problems especially for cats.. Otherwise, I bet your house does smell great.

• Kris
    Kris

I’ve been told by my vet to be careful with certain spices, cloves, cinnamon, etc, around cats and dogs, but especially cats. The essential oils cause liver toxicity. I’m pretty sure mixing a small amount of whole cloves in a blender with the other ingredients wouldn’t be a problem though.

• BrokeCrazyLady
    BrokeCrazyLady

I've posted this comment before.

BEFORE USING BAKING SODA, check your warranty on your vacuum cleaner. Most warranties will be voided by using the vacuum to suck up powders.