Pinspired to DIY
Pinspired to DIY
  • Loomis, CA

DIY Wooden Toy Box for Dog Toys

As you may recall from my previous post, we recently acquired a new furry family member, a Border Collie named Hannah. She has a lot of toys to keep her entertained (since she does have boundless amounts of energy!) So, to combat the mess of dog toys and to satisfy my organizational needs, I decided to build a dog toy box to store all of her toys. I wanted something that was easily identifiable as being for the dog, but yet still looked rustic and classy.
diy wooden toy box for dog toys, crafts, entertainment rec rooms, flooring, laundry rooms, painting, pets animals, woodworking projects
Several rooms in our house have her toys scattered across the floor, like this:
So, I decided to build a toy box to store all of her dog toys. My goal is to eventually train her to put all her toys in said toy box at the end of each day, but we'll see how that goes! She's a bit on the stubborn side...
To build this, I used a 1/2 sheet of 3/4" plywood an a 1x12 board.
To see the full list of materials and detailed instructions, please visit my blog at the link at the bottom of the page.
First, I used my template that I created to trace the bone shape onto the plywood.
I then used my jig saw to cut out the traced shape.
Once I cut out the first piece, I used that to trace the shape onto the remaining plywood and cut that out with my jig saw, so I now had two identical shapes.
I then cut my 1x12 boards to length and attached them together using wood glue and pocket hole screws.
Next, I attached the 1x12 boards to the front and back bone-shaped pieces, using wood glue and pocket hole screws.
Once the box was complete, I sanded and stained it with Rustoleum Dark Walnut.
I then added white acrylic craft paint to add the lettering onto the front of the toy box. Here is the completed project:
No more stepping on random dog toys in the middle of the night!

• Plywood and 1x12 board  (Home Depot)
  • Wood glue
  • Kreg Jig
Pinspired to DIY

• Lana

I love this, but my dog would never go for it!

• Kathy

Nice job! I tried to teach my dog to put her toys away. She doesn't, but I do. When they're all in her box, she picks them out one by one and tosses them to the side until she finds the one she wants to play with.