How To Make A Stencilled Burlap Pillow: Christmas Decor Idea

This simple DIY stencilled pillow is really easy to do and is perfect for the holiday period.
how to make a stencilled burlap pillow christmas decor idea, christmas decorations, crafts, home decor, how to
I had made a simple envelope pillow from some bright red burlap material (you can find that tutorial over on the blog) and decided it needed a little jazzing up. So I thought I'd try stencilling it.
I didn't have a shop bought stencil so I decided to make one myself. I managed to find a lovely deer head silhouette printable.
I printed this out on photographic paper and used a sharp craft knife to carefully cut the image out (it is better if you do this on a cutting mat or chopping board).
Once you have your stencil slip a piece of card inside the cushion to protect the bottom layer of material.
Use a light coating of spray glue on the back of the deer stencil and pressed if firmly on to the material.
Using a small stiff paint brush lightly stipple the material with white acrylic paint taking care not to let the brush under the stencil.
The burlap material is quite coarse and soaks up the paint so continue stippling the material until the motif is completely filled in.
Whilst the paint is still wet carefully remove the stencil from the material and allow to dry.
Please note this is not suitable for washing (I only use mine for decoration purposes at Christmas).
If you do want to have the option to wash your cushion then you would need to use a colour fast fabric paint instead.
I think the cushion turned out great and looks rather festive ready for the holiday season.
The burlap material lends itself very well to stencilling so this technique would be suitable for a number of other projects (bunting, table runners, wall art etc)
You can see more detailed instructions for this project and how I made the actual pillow over to the blog.

• White Acrylic Paint  (Art Shop)
  • Photographic Paper  (Discount Store)
  • Burlap Pillow  (Made It Myself)
Sam Franklin