DIY Tin Can Christmas Advent Calendar

$5

To me the best bit about Christmas is the run up to the big day itself. An advent calendar just adds to the anticipation and excitement. I love to make our families advent calendar, that way I can decide what the daily treat will be. This year I made our Advent Calendar out of tin cans in the shape of a Christmas tree. One can for each day, with a chocolate treat in each a Christmas picture cut from old cards and a cheesy Christmas joke to make the everyone smile.
diy tin can christmas advent calendar, crafts, fireplaces mantels, gardening, pallet, repurposing upcycling, seasonal holiday decor
You need 25 tin cans for this calendar. I have a big stack of cans that I keep for all sorts of upcycling projects like my very popular colourful tin can planters.
You also need 25 red rubber bands white paper (I used white wrapping paper from IKEA). Hot glue gun like this one or double-sided sticky foam pads Red sharpie Old Christmas cards for pictures Treats Collection of cheesy Christmas jokes (link on the blog)
On the white paper draw round a bowl slightly larger than your can. Cut out this disc and repeat until you have 25. Using the sharpie stencil or write the numbers 1-25 on each disc. Cut out 25 Christmas pictures from old Christmas cards and write a different cheesy Christmas joke on the back of each picture.
Put a picture and a treat in each can. Then cover with your white paper disc and secure with a red rubber band.
When all are done. Arrange your cans in a triangle tree shape with a trunk. Then using a combination of hot glue gun and foam sticky pads glue your tins together. (see blog).
To me half the fun of an advent calendar is finding the right day so I put my numbered cans in a random order. However I know some people like to have their calendars in date order. It doesn't really matter, just do it your way.
You might want to check out the DIY advent calendar I made last year, by making my own Christmas paper envelopes click here to see. If you have any good Christmas jokes I would love to hear them, please put them in the comments below so everyone can see them too.

• Tin cans
  • Glue
  • Rubber bands and paper
Claire at Pillarboxblue

• Dolores DeLuise

Since when do treats go into advent calanders? They used to contain good acts to perform or prayers to say.

• M. M..

Wow, this post got a lot of reactions!!My mother started us on a new tradition of writing or saying one thing that we were grateful for. By the time you get to 24/25, you appreciate your family and friends and enjoy the time together much more. It really took away the 'chore' or obligation feeling of socializing with those you need to get to know better instead of avoiding them, haha! Doesn't every family have members like that? Are YOU that one? ;-) Cheers, everybody!

• Isma sheikh

I have lots of tins of my baby's milk powder and cerelac but they are printed tins.its not like paper wrapped on them the tin itself is printed.how can i clean it

• Jeanette S

You can probably use any white glue that drys clear (add in a touch of water) and any Christmas paper. Cut paper into strips and then to the right size adding a little for overlapping . Brush both sides of paper with glue (or dip into a shallow pan of glue) then wrap around can. Let dry and see if this works. These should last for years. (You can glue just at the overlap if you wish)