DIY Rain Chain

1 Material
$20

I love rain chains! I think they look so much better than a regular downspout and work just as well. But the copper ones are usually pretty expensive to buy so I decided to see if I could make one.
diy rain chain
It took me a while to figure out where I was going to get copper to make the chain. Then I was walking through the hardware store and saw a 20' length of flexible copper tubing...the type that is used to install refrigerators. Perfect!
diy rain chain
The next problem to solve? How to get chain links that were round. After a couple of failed attempts, I finally made it work by wrapping the tubing around a broomstick.
diy rain chain
Third problem to solve? How to cut the coil into links that could be made into a chain. Again after a couple of failed attempts, I settled on putting the coil in a vise and cut all the way down one side with a reciprocating saw. Be careful not to cut all the way through to the other side or you won't end up with links :)
diy rain chain
Using the saw made a pile of links in a hurry.
diy rain chain
Finally, I used pliers to join the links together.
diy rain chain
The finished chain was a little more than 5' long...which was the perfect height to hang from the first story eaves of my house and have the chain reach just above the top of my rain barrel.
diy rain chain
Next step was to install the rain chain, which meant first removing the down spout that was there. That left a hole in the gutter (sorry for the dirt...I was so excited to put it up, I didn't bother to clean :)
diy rain chain
To make a gutter installer, I bent another small piece of copper tubing (mine was about 15" long) into a "V" shape with ends.
diy rain chain
Pull the rain chain through the hole in the gutter and attach the installer to the end of the chain.
diy rain chain
Then let the chain back down so that the ends of the V are resting on the bottom of the gutter.
diy rain chain
The rain chain looks great when it is hanging on its own.
diy rain chain
But it is really pretty when there is water running down. And it really does work! Click the link below to get all of the step-by-step details...and to see my second DIY rain chain design.

• Flexible Copper Tubing  (Home Depot)
Wanda @ From House To Home

• Patty Henson

what is the purpose of a rain chain?? I never heard of it till I saw your post please explain. TIA!!

• Mary Ann Niemczycki

Does this really work when you have torrential rains?

• Dia19459876

Is this legal with the code department?

• Jenny Dewes

I live in Canada and you see these incorporated into the building design in new higher end homes. I love the look of them. Thanks for sharing your beautiful creation 😁

• Hzaenchik

The first time I saw this was at Disney world at the Polynesian Resort. And this is what I remember the most. Go figure.

• Jeannette

I've been wanting a rainchain forever but I have no interest in paying so much for something! I cant wait to do this!