A Crafty Mix - Michelle
A Crafty Mix - Michelle
  • South Africa

Recycled Tin Can Christmas Tree

Do you have a whole bunch of empty tin cans lying around? With Christmas coming up we thought it would be a good idea to to make ourselves something special to add to our decor and recycle those empty cans at the same time. We decided to use the cans to make a Christmas tree.
recycled tin can christmas tree
We started off using tin snips to cut our cans a little smaller. The short little tuna cans would have been ideal for this project, but sadly we didn’t have any in our stash. To create the layers or branches of the Christmas tree we glued 5 cans together for the bottom layer and 3 for the middle layer. The top layer would be a single can.
recycled tin can christmas tree
For a bit of bling we glued plastic beads to the bottom of the tin cans and then added succulents inside. Luckily for us, our vertical garden has produced loads of new off shoots so we had more than enough plants to go around.
recycled tin can christmas tree
We used an old lamp base to form the "trunk" of the Christmas tree and attached the layers or tin can "branches" using a thread bar and nuts.
recycled tin can christmas tree
And no self respecting Christmas tree is complete without a star ;-)
recycled tin can christmas tree
I love how our succulent, recycled tin can Christmas tree turned out and for me she's a living reminder of what Christmas is all about.
Do you like creating your own decor at Christmas or do you prefer something already made?
For the full tutorial come say hi on the blog. As always we love visitors. Sending blessing and love to everyone

A Crafty Mix - Michelle

• Cathy

What did you use in between each row of cans ? I LOVE this idea , I'm gonna try this and hopefully next year I can get my Granddaughters interested and have them make some !!! THANKS SO MUCH HAPPY NEW YEAR !!! Cathy