Hanging Cleaning Tool Hack

$5

Are y'all ready for a super inexpensive and easy organization hack for your cleaning tools? Don't blink or you'll miss it! I've seen this same hack floating around the internet for scarf organization but when you're in need of a solution for your jumbled broom sticks, you improvise and find a way to make them look organized. Because I don't have as many cleaning tools as my in-laws do, I decided to help them out and do this project at their house. They have a ton of Swiffers, brooms, mops and dusters hanging against their pantry shelves. We want to help you DIY, so some of the materials in this post are linked to sellers. Just so you know, Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.

You can organize your own closet this spring, with our expert organizer, Meggie Mangione by signing up to our online group workshop.

SUPPLIES: -Wooden hangers (any hangers will work but these are inexpensive and to me, look nicer. Also, the more hangers the better, because I always need more hangers in my closet.) - 12 pack of clear plastic shower curtain rings

STEP 1: Attach shower curtain rings First, I opened a curtain ring and placed it around the rod of the hanger.

STEP 2: Place cleaning tools on shower curtain rings Next, I laced the shower curtain ring through the end hole/hook of each cleaning tool. *Note: your cleaning tools are going to want to slide to one side...try and even out the weight of the cleaning tools so that the hanger sits straight on whatever rod/hook you have it hanging from.

STEP 3: Close shower curtain rings Once the cleaning tools were all laced through the shower curtain rings, I snapped the rings closed. I love easy projects that create tidiness! Now that these cleaning tools have a nice place to hang together, I don't have to worry about them being propped up against the wall in my closet anymore.

I love easy projects that create tidiness! Now that these cleaning tools have a nice place to hang together, I don't have to worry about them being propped up against the wall in my closet anymore. *Note: if you don't have a rod that sits high enough off the ground to hang your longer cleaning tools, simply grab a tension rod at Home Depot, Walmart or another store that carries them.

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

Do You Want to Update Your Antique Furniture?
21 Clever Wind Chimes You Can Make
Upcycle Your Old Clothing Items For These Great Ideas!
15 Ways To Upcycle And Create More Storage At The Same Time
31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space
16 Fun Ways You Can Use Food To Decorate Your Home
31 Gorgeous Homemade Candle Ideas You're Going to Want to Try
23 Valentine's Day DIY Ideas That You Don't Want To Miss
These West Elm Knockoffs Are Pretty Unbelievable
25 Fabulous Feather Projects That You Don't Want To Miss
The Top 9 Kitchen Countertop Makeovers People Are Doing Now
30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration

• Chr6704791

Have you tried using several rubber bands around the hangar rod to prevent things from sliding to the corners or small brass, leaving them sticking up a bit to prevent rings from sliding ?? Evenly space the rubber bands on the rod if you choose to use the beads then put the rings in between your choice of stoppers.

• Katherine Somma

Great idea,but I used those shower hooks that have 2 sides less work getting on and off the hanger...

• Chr6704791

The shower hooks snap opened and closed so they are easy to take on and off. In one end of the wooden hangar comes loose, wrap the rubber band around it several times, doing this a few times evenly spaced on the hangar rod , then place each ring in-between each rubber band to keep from sliding due to uneven weight. If one end of the hangar doesn't come loose try using small brass or nails along the hangar rod spacing the and then the shower rings in-between the brass or nails. Perhaps I didn't explain it clearly the first time, hope this makes it clearer and easier to understand.

• Bkl10362555

Wrap pipe cleaners around about every 2 inches to keep from sliding

• Pba15857579

I would space out each hook (S hook, shower curtain ring, whichever you prefer) apply some Gorilla glue, Superglue or hot wax with glue gun. Something like that would keep them in place. I love this idea....need to get some wooden hangers! Thanks

• That's definitely a good idea--thanks for sharing!

• Bev darragh

You could use a la rage clothes pin to stop the sliding

• Rit8039843

great Idea!

• Yes, great idea!!

• Jay

Added cleverness! Thx!

• Rosie Neyhouse

or cover the rod of the hanger with gel clear glue, or afix a non-slip shelf liner on the rod. Also small pots could be hung to give more room in the cupboard for the larger pots.

• Jill Vega

All if the above are great ideas. I was thinking to add large beads as spacers.

• Willie Simpson

These hangers look sturdy.. perhaps .. drill holes through the frame part ( that makes the ^A. Put the rings through the drilled holes ( remove crossbar or... re glue it with epoxy.. up higher to the apex ...

• She11495311

willie, you lost me at...drill holes through the frame....haha!

• Mar10029191

How to remove tool when you need them in a hurry?

• 1rd10753025

Use "s" hooks instead of curtain rings.

• Sas15308687

Great answer....

• Helen Vierstra Werner

Great idea for RV 's

• I agree with 1rdmilfam in using S hooks for quick access. These rings aren't super difficult to open though.

• Lakeesha Rhodes

Open the ring....Not that hard and doesn't take that long...

• Barbara

as a senior with arthritis, loved this, but s hooks will work better. thanks

• SUSAN

You can also use the metal notebook rings.....less cost

• Laurie jeffries

I like this but id use the metal ones thats easier to clip and unclip and hopefully stronger.

• Linda

If you add a rod in the closet, forget the hanger. Put hooks on rod. No slipping when you take one off.

• Kitty

As my closet is not suitable to hang a rod/hanger, I put up a stainless steel utensil holder like the one in my kitchen that holds my cooking utensils. This already has the hooks attached, and I hang my broom etc from that. You can buy these at any dollar store. Also, plastic hooks would break from the weight. If you have the rod or can put one up, I also suggest the metal "S" hooks.

• Gal2113832

I think you can attach the rings or s hooks in a way to keep them from sliding. Secure with electrical tack, nails or screws on each side or notch the post with grooves. I like the idea and plan to use it in the broom closest.

• Danielle

Wouldn't it be far easier to deal with to screw big mug hooks into a piece of 1 by material, attach that to studs and hand clipped utensils off that? Already spaced, no sliding, works in houses or rv's

• Sandra

I use this idea for my many scarves and shawls I crochet.

• Sandra Anderson

I use carabiner clips. That way you can keep the clip on the broom handle and they are super easy to take on and off the hanger. We were using these clips as quick release key rings for years.

• Chatycms

For Danielle, I would love to use mug hooks but living in an apartment building, any holes I make, I must repair or lose my deposit.

• Joye R. Foster

Use s hooks but close the hook onto the hanger.

• Debigray

Perhaps using hooks you could glue them into place on the hanger and centering the heaviest tool in the center to keep balance.

• Ann Eichenberger

I just installed Command Broom & Mop Gripper hooks in each room where I have a broom & Swifter. Used a small Command hook for the dustpan. So easy to use. Also you could use a large Command hook and S hooks--thanks for the idea of S hooks

• Gloria Joeline Cochran

I used the shower curtain hooks shaped like a flat lightbulb. These can remain open at the bottom so to make hanging and removal easier. Just leave them open.

• Estelle Brown

I love the idea and found all hints interesting Thanks.

• Nancy

File notches into the rod so items don't slip OR, dollops of gorilla glue every couple of inches.

• Evelyn Southers

I used the metal shower rod rings and left it open and put a closed one onthe broom etc. Then just slipped the closed ring off and put it back on the open one.I used a tension rod instead of hanger.

• Ann Boone

It never ceases to amaze me how very creative people are. And so willing to share. Thank you 😊

• Stacie Johnson

What about using this idea for serving utensils?

• Hmmm interesting idea..yes that could work!

• Kitty

It would not look attractive hanging on the kitchen wall. You can buy a cheap untensil holder at the dollar store. I have a nice stainless steel one hanging near my stove with the stainless steel utensils on it.

• Samantha Pierce

Maybe if you spray painted it to match wall behind it or in a wood cabin like kitchen. You'd still get scratching on the rod though

• Anna Anima Mundi

The s-hook, metal shower curtain rings might look better for serving utensils, maybe hanging from a tension rod placed under the cabinet.

• Patsy Romero

You can get a long magnet at Harbor Freight, I screwed in in to the wall by my stove, and it holds my long knives, spatulas, and spoons. Just wrap it in any kind of printed contact, cloth, or color anything of your choosing, and it will hold any metal.

• Elizabeth J Fisher

I would also use this for hanging scarves in my wardrobe closet. Also dollar store shower rings very cheap. Your ideas?

• Karen Granberg

The dollar store rings come apart too easily, get some good metal ones and leave them unlocked. I hope this helps.

• Bertha Esoldo

I thought I'd using them for scarves too!

• Toni

Could link them together lengthwise, with scarves in each ring, too! Easy use of corner space...

• Linda

I have taken my winter gloves, scarfs and your neck scarf that you put around your coat collar on hooks. Works out great. I bought some rings that you could put on a hanger and placed all my cami's on them and hung them in my closet. Saved my drawers for other thing. I just took the straps and put them on the big o ring. Worked out good. You can get a lot on them. Thanks for your idea. I appreciated it.

• Farzana Hadi

This is a great tip. However, I would use curved hooks instead and clamp the part that goes on the hanger closed so it doesn't pop up when removing the broom.

• I actually used curtain rings from Dollar Tree and yes, definitely a great idea for scarves. That's where I got the inspiration from--I had seen where someone used this idea for scarves.

• Susan East More

Great idea for scarves. I think I will do this.

• Mikkigirl

I’ve done this for scarves and it works great. Scarves are easy to get to.
  • Lee Ellis

How do you remove the tools when needed?

• Anita grams

Open the curtain rods

• Anita grams

Open the curtain rods

• Anita grams

Open the curtain rods

• You just open the curtain rings.

• Nancy Schaft

Wouldn't that be a pain to constantly have to open the rings.?

• Cheryl

yes it would! I always type of ring difficult to open

• Jill Ron Pike

Cheryl, I visited Tarpon springs a few years ago...BEAUTIFUL place !! Others suggested using S-hooks, closing the end around the hanger.
    • Sarah

That style of curtain ring is a pain, in the best of times, to open. I agree that S hooks are better or some other curtain ring.

• Cur9058935

Now that I've seen this, I love it! I'll probably use binder rings from an office store, like the kind you use for flashcards.
    • Barbara Liston

FYI: This a very nice idea, altho I do agree plastic shower curtain rings are a real pain! I found these curtain ring replacements on Amazon: Maytex Metal Double Glide Shower Ring, Brushed Nickel, 12 Count. Please check them out, you will LOVE them, on and off curtains are a breeze making washing curtain/liner a pleasure!! And they glide perfectly too, no hang-ups. A workable ring for this ''hanging mop'' project too.

• Dee

How about S hooks and you just close the end around the hanger? Easier to get cleaning tools off

• Wil Hurd

YES

• Great idea!

• Carol Campbell

I use this kind of ring on my shower curtain and they are a pain in neck to open and close. I like the idea of the S hooks. This is a great idea.

• Barbara Liston

absolute best curtain rings, have used for years! Easy on & off to launder shower curtains or liners. It might fit directly on clothes' pole too for this neat broom-hanging idea. I'll try it.
      Maytex Mills Metal Double Glide Shower Ring, Brushed Nickel, 12 Count

• David

I was reading about the kitchen ceiling pot hanger, and one thing that came to mind is taking metal shower curtain hooks and bending it so it stays on the hanger. Then you can hang the utensil on the bottom part of the hook.
    • Rosemary Pope-Wallin

Agree with Dee
    • Wanda

What happens if all the tools shift to one end of the hanger? Also, why not just hang the tools on the rod where the hanger was hung, no worry about them shifting that way.
    • Kristina Renee Godfrey

There has to be a type of spacer one could use to put on each side of the shower curtain hanger or S hook.
    • Cathy Waterstradt

And for ppl who have problems with their hands and can not grip or have strength in their fingers to pull the curtain hanger apart this is not a very good idea to do. U might want to try the large s hook and have some one close the one side of the hook so that it will stay on the hanger. A curtain rod or tension rod is better less space used. Cuz then u won't have all the hangers hanging around unless u are using it for other items as well. This is a very good idea don't get me wrong I'm not knocking it but like Dee said I can't close or open them type of hooks so I'm just thinking about people with possible disabilities that just can't use that but still need some type of organization and space. Thanks for sharing your idea. Great.
    • Janet Thompson Roe

I agree with you Cathy. I have a hard time with my fingers opening things. I think the S hook would work a whole lot better.
    • Roschelle

Awesome ideas. Just what I needed. Brooms and mops propped against my kitchen walls are on my nerves.
    • Joe Hagen

How about using caribenrs they would work alot better,or using notebook rings
    • Vicki Martens

If you use the metal shower curtain hook rings (that have a U-shaped Channel that the other end of the hook slides into), you can put the shower curtain ring over the clothes pole with the hook open towards you and then you can hang the tools from the hook.
      , shower curtain ring hook
    • LaDawn Fritcher

I have metal/chrome utility shelves in my kitchen tomhold mixers, etc.. I use chromed s hooks along the edges to hold various item; aprons, meat tenderizer... at the door from the kitchen to the mudroom I use the s hooks to hold all of my topply over broom like things. Works really well.. but I don’t like drippy things hanging out to dry in my kitchen so I think I will do this by the boot dryers in the mudroom. Great idea thanks! 👍🙏😉👏👏👏
    • Brandi Fink

cutting up a pool noodle into small sections might work.

• Loisjean

A pool noodle would work well, Cut to desired width, then slice once from center to outside so the noodle will go around the hanger. Also will work on a wire hanger.

• Susan

Why bother with the coat hanger when you have a rod? I’m an organizing nut and this just looks awkward and unnecessary. Plus, not all my brooms, etc., have holes at the top. I use a tension rod in the broom closet & S hooks because I don’t want to spend the time opening those rings.

• Heather

Yes!

• Rosalie Peck

Where do you hang your coats?
    • Amy5354105

Under the sink. 😉
    • Barbara kittlitz

This is for your broom closet
    • Rosalie Peck

Wow you must think I have a huge house!

• Deborah Branch Kalic

Use a wreath hanger and hang it in the inside of the door 😉 also you can place rubber tabs between rings to keep them in place.
    • Kathryn Martin-Pflugh

You could use a wooden suit pants hanger and slide the rings off, but , I liked the s hook idea too. You see, I have fibromyalgia and arthritis in my hands, and undoing the shower rings could be difficult.
    • Gar2275764

You can get S shaped hooks in any garden center and probably at Walmart. They are really inexpensive.

To the person who said why why not just hang them directly on the closet rod, using the hanger puts them in the closet in a line, front to back. Hanging directly on the rod would take up a lot more rod space that you probably need for other things — in my case, coats. I’ve had to appropriate space in my coat closet for my broom , mop, etc., as there’s no other place except the utility room, which is on a different level and totally inconvenient.
  • Jennifer Brennan Wayne

What happens if the weight is not balanced? Won’t everything just slide to one side?
    • Jaime Wallace

They said you have to balance to one side ...
    • Rhonda Wise Warner

Just use a glue gun and put glue even inches apart to keep it from sliding.
    • Hazel

I would think that you could use small sections of a swimming noodle to fill in the gaps.
    • Kay

I agree with previous answers. There multiple
      things you could so to create Balance without things sliding. I'd try clips or
      clothes pins. Spacers.