Ginnie - Hello Little Home
Ginnie - Hello Little Home
  • Dallas, TX

Easy Picture Frame Makeover

Updating a dated frame with a little paint can bring a whole new life to vintage art! It's easy to do with my simple tips.
easy picture frame makeover
My husband’s company moved offices about a year ago. One of the items they were discarding was an old painting of New York. He kept mentioning this “huge painting” and how much he liked it, but I wasn’t sure where we’d put it, or if I’d even like it. Well, one day I came home and there it was!
After some rearranging of art, we hung the painting over our couch. It’s been hanging there for a while, and as much as I liked it, the painting always seemed very dark.
I finally decided to brighten it up with an easy picture frame makeover! Here's the before:
easy picture frame makeover
The dark wood frame was in good shape, but it didn’t really work with the rest of my furniture. Here's how I made it over quickly and inexpensively.
Start by taping off the frame with painter’s tape. Make sure the edges are pressed firmly to avoid paint seeping through. (If your frame has a glossy finish, sand it down a bit first, otherwise the paint won't stick.)
easy picture frame makeover
After you’ve applied the tape, apply a thin coat of craft paint (use your favorite color) with a foam brush. Let dry, then continue applying coats of paint until the frame is completely covered.
easy picture frame makeover
Once you’ve added your last coat of paint, peel off the tape. Let the paint dry completely before hanging up the picture.
easy picture frame makeover
I love how it turned out! The white paint brightened up the whole painting, and it was so quick and easy to do.
easy picture frame makeover
Stop by my blog for more painting tips and photos of the project!

• Painters tape
  • Craft paint
  • Foam paint brush
Ginnie - Hello Little Home