Mother Daughter Projects
Mother Daughter Projects
  • Tallahassee, FL

How to Clean a Showerhead

Have you ever looked up at your shower head and noticed a bunch of the nozzles aren't working? I (Steph) installed a new shower head in 2013 when I moved into my house, and haven't thought about it since. Over time I have noticed the water seemed to be coming out harder and was spraying in different directions. It also didn't have the 'rain' effect it once did. I decided it was time to try to clean it! Here's what I did.

Watch the video

how to clean a showerhead, bathroom ideas, cleaning tips, how to, plumbing
You can see many of the nozzles where not spraying water anymore.

I started by mixing a cup of vinegar with 1/3 cup baking soda. The acid in the vinegar reacts with the baking soda to form a strong cleaning agent but vinegar on it’s own would work too.

The reaction between vinegar and baking soda is always fun to watch!

Once they were mixed, I placed the bag over the shower head and attached it with rubber bands. I made sure the mixture came in contact with all the nozzles.

After letting it sit a full day, I removed the bag.

Lastly, I noticed there were still mineral deposits in some of the nozzles so I used a toothpick to clean them out.

As you can see, before, about half the nozzles were working and now all the nozzles are back to working! I could tell a huge difference when I used the shower after cleaning. The water comes out in a rain pattern like when it was new, and it’s a much better experience than it has been. Pretty cool what a little bit of cleaning can do!

For a few more tips on this project visit MotherDaughterProjects.com!
Mother Daughter Projects

• Tina

How do you clean shower wall grout. I’ve tried everything and still have black spots.

• Stevie Johnson

Black spots that even bleach won't remove obviously aren't mold. You may have a problem we occasionally have here in the desert. I don't remember the name, but it's some sort of mineral that can be found in water. It isn't something that happens often here, but our city water dept sent out a notice telling us to not try to remove the spots as whatever we did would likely cause the stain to be permanent, but to call them if we noticed it on laundry or fixtures & they would deliver a chemical that would remove the spots. You might try calling your city water providor to check if where you live has a similar problem.

• Allana Hynes

I have calcium that is around ,the tub drain. Is there anyway to get it off ?

• Mother Daughter Projects

I would start with something like Lime Away to see if that will remove it. I have the same kind of water stain in one of my bathrooms, but it appears to be permanent at this stage. Make sure whatever cleaning product you use is safe for the type of bathtub you have--fiberglass, porcelain

• Carol Douglass

why not just remove the shower head, put it in a bowl full of vinegar and let it soak!

• Holly Green

I will try the pumice stone! Have what I thought was a permanent ring in the toilet too. Thanks!

• Toni

They sell them at the dollar store, as well. TRUST ME, you'd be surprised by what you will find there!! Absolutely LOVE shopping at the dollar stores!

• Susie

I can try this solution with soap and water I think it's always better to plunge because it get clogs up farther down than you can see and soap and water is not going to maybe loosen it up.