How to Clean a Showerhead

Have you ever looked up at your shower head and noticed a bunch of the nozzles aren't working? I (Steph) installed a new shower head in 2013 when I moved into my house, and haven't thought about it since. Over time I have noticed the water seemed to be coming out harder and was spraying in different directions. It also didn't have the 'rain' effect it once did. I decided it was time to try to clean it!
Watch the video

how to clean a showerhead, bathroom ideas, cleaning tips, how to, plumbing
You can see many of the nozzles where not spraying water anymore.

I started by mixing a cup of vinegar with 1/3 cup baking soda. The acid in the vinegar reacts with the baking soda to form a strong cleaning agent but vinegar on it’s own would work too.

The reaction between vinegar and baking soda is always fun to watch!

Once they were mixed, I placed the bag over the shower head and attached it with rubber bands. I made sure the mixture came in contact with all the nozzles.

After letting it sit a full day, I removed the bag.

Lastly, I noticed there were still mineral deposits in some of the nozzles so I used a toothpick to clean them out.

As you can see, before, about half the nozzles were working and now all the nozzles are back to working! I could tell a huge difference when I used the shower after cleaning. The water comes out in a rain pattern like when it was new, and it’s a much better experience than it has been. Pretty cool what a little bit of cleaning can do!

For a few more tips on this project visit MotherDaughterProjects.com!
Mother Daughter Projects

• Michelle Bellin

How do I get my drains in my sinks to stop rusting? I can get the rust off, I just can’t KEEP it off. Help!

• Susie

You have minerals in your water that are creating your drains too rust. Get a water softener connected to your water tank for your waterline this will help you eliminate that problem. You have what is called hard water. Soft water goes through a salt filter which helps to get rid of the minerals in the water that create things to rust. Also Nation orange on your side of your tubs sinks and makes noodles or rice turn orange when you boil it in water. The only way to stop it is basically a water softener unit or attachment to your faucet each one and you change the filter often.

• Gale Ray

Will this also help the water pressure ?

• Jen

Cleaning screens on all faucets, including hose screens for your washmachine, and doing this shower head hack will definitely help. If you have hard water make sure you have an inline filter coming from the water pump to the rest of the house. Then, make sure the filter is good, if not change it.

The next area of concern for low water pressure would be to drain your hot water heater. Hard water deposits can build up, causing the heater to be blocked. This will eventually cause you to replace elements or the entire heater. Refer to your heaters' manual, but it's pretty easy to do.

If these things do not bring you better pressure, then refer to a plumber.

• Tina

How do you clean shower wall grout. I’ve tried everything and still have black spots.

• Dixie

Tina, I used to live in an apartment with no fan in the bathroom. I used to fix a big spray bottle of bleach water. Mix 1 part bleach, 3 parts water and then spray down. This works great for grout around the tub too and if there are little spots on the shower curtain or shower door this works too. This will also remove tough stains around the faucet and drain. Rinse down with clear water after it has set for about 5 minutes. Hopes this works for you.

• Holly Green

I will try the pumice stone! Have what I thought was a permanent ring in the toilet too. Thanks!

• Toni

They sell them at the dollar store, as well. TRUST ME, you'd be surprised by what you will find there!! Absolutely LOVE shopping at the dollar stores!

• Susie

I can try this solution with soap and water I think it's always better to plunge because it get clogs up farther down than you can see and soap and water is not going to maybe loosen it up.