How to Clean a Showerhead

Have you ever looked up at your shower head and noticed a bunch of the nozzles aren't working? I (Steph) installed a new shower head in 2013 when I moved into my house, and haven't thought about it since. Over time I have noticed the water seemed to be coming out harder and was spraying in different directions. It also didn't have the 'rain' effect it once did. I decided it was time to try to clean it! Here's what I did.

Watch the video

how to clean a showerhead, bathroom ideas, cleaning tips, how to, plumbing
You can see many of the nozzles where not spraying water anymore.

I started by mixing a cup of vinegar with 1/3 cup baking soda. The acid in the vinegar reacts with the baking soda to form a strong cleaning agent but vinegar on it’s own would work too.

The reaction between vinegar and baking soda is always fun to watch!

Once they were mixed, I placed the bag over the shower head and attached it with rubber bands. I made sure the mixture came in contact with all the nozzles.

After letting it sit a full day, I removed the bag.

Lastly, I noticed there were still mineral deposits in some of the nozzles so I used a toothpick to clean them out.

As you can see, before, about half the nozzles were working and now all the nozzles are back to working! I could tell a huge difference when I used the shower after cleaning. The water comes out in a rain pattern like when it was new, and it’s a much better experience than it has been. Pretty cool what a little bit of cleaning can do!

For a few more tips on this project visit MotherDaughterProjects.com!
Mother Daughter Projects

• Kathy Newcomb Long

They sell a Pumice stone for cleaning the tub, toilet, and sinks. Obviously not the plastic shower stalls or sinks but the real deals. I have used it for rings in my toilet and shower that I didn't think would come out. It was awesome. This thing cost $2 at Walmart and was well worth it. https://experthometips.com/uses-for-a-pumice-stone

• Holly Green

I will try the pumice stone! Have what I thought was a permanent ring in the toilet too. Thanks!

• Toni

They sell them at the dollar store, as well. TRUST ME, you'd be surprised by what you will find there!! Absolutely LOVE shopping at the dollar stores!