How to Clean a Showerhead

Have you ever looked up at your shower head and noticed a bunch of the nozzles aren't working? I (Steph) installed a new shower head in 2013 when I moved into my house, and haven't thought about it since. Over time I have noticed the water seemed to be coming out harder and was spraying in different directions. It also didn't have the 'rain' effect it once did. I decided it was time to try to clean it!

Watch the video

how to clean a showerhead, bathroom ideas, cleaning tips, how to, plumbing
You can see many of the nozzles where not spraying water anymore.

I started by mixing a cup of vinegar with 1/3 cup baking soda. The acid in the vinegar reacts with the baking soda to form a strong cleaning agent but vinegar on it’s own would work too.

The reaction between vinegar and baking soda is always fun to watch!

Once they were mixed, I placed the bag over the shower head and attached it with rubber bands. I made sure the mixture came in contact with all the nozzles.

After letting it sit a full day, I removed the bag.

Lastly, I noticed there were still mineral deposits in some of the nozzles so I used a toothpick to clean them out.

As you can see, before, about half the nozzles were working and now all the nozzles are back to working! I could tell a huge difference when I used the shower after cleaning. The water comes out in a rain pattern like when it was new, and it’s a much better experience than it has been. Pretty cool what a little bit of cleaning can do!

For a few more tips on this project visit MotherDaughterProjects.com!
Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page. Prices updated as of August 13, 2018 11:19 PM - More info
Mother Daughter Projects

• Kay

BIi Carb of Soada, as it is called, is @ non harsh natural abrasive! It can be used by it's self, or with Viniger. It's not only used for cleaning, it's used for other things as well ie. Renooving stains from carpets, fabricks, clothes, mattresses, deodorises and absorbs oders in fridges, helps renoove mold and mildrew, to name a few. I use Bi Card of Soad @ lot, as did my mum. It is inexpensive, plus very effective, and safe to use on allmost anything! You can even whiten teeth useing it! Hope this clears up amy misconceptions about Bi Carb of soada. Have a nice day everyone Kay Adelaide Australia

• Shab Miso

Better lemon salt and the material is really good for cleaning any tartar