Make Your Ordinary Floor Look Amazing

$75

Add some pizzazz to an ordinary floor by using stencils.

I begin by painting the floor with a paint made especially for floors. This floor is concrete so I used a paint made especially for concrete floors. Allow to dry at least 24 hours before stenciling.

Stencils can be purchased in most craft stores or on-line. I made my stencils using my Cricut machine.

Apply painter's tape along the edges of your stencil so it doesn't slip while you are painting.

Using outdoor paint, load the end of your stencil brush with paint. You don't need a lot and can remove some of the paint by taping the brush onto your paint pan.

Starting in the middle of your stencil, apply the paint working outward toward the edge of the stencil. By working from the middle out, if you have too much paint on your brush, it won't bleed underneath the stencil. Apply more paint to as needed.

I used two different stencils for my floor - a starfish and a sand dollar. You can use one or as many as you would like to achieve the look you are going for.

The inside of the sand dollar stencil went all the way to the edge so after I finished the stenciling, I went back and painted the outer edge with a small brush to give it a more finished look.

After you've completed your stenciling, seal the floor using a liquid floor sealer. Allow it to dry as recommend on the can.

Now it's time to enjoy your one-of-a-kind floor! Congratulations!!

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

• Floor paint  (HomeDepot)
  • Floor sealer  (HomeDepot)
  • Outdoor paint  (AC Moore)

• Bonnie Frodge

The instructions after step 3 say to remove extra paint by "taping the brush" on the paint pan. Did you mean "tapping"? I couldn't see how taping a brush to the pan would help remove paint. Thank you. The floor looks great, BTW. I'm looking for ideas for my patio floor, and this looks like a good one!

• Debby

I love what you did...so cute and now you are giving ME ideas:) thanks for sharing.

• Ethel Kirkpatrick

Neat idea! I'm thinking I'd like to do something like this with the awful grayish carpeting that is throughout my condo... it's almost like indoor/outdoor stuff... some stencils might give it a bit of a boost! If I decide to do it, I think I'll try it out first on a hidden area of the rug... just in case... Thank you so much for the inspiration! :)