I Restore Stuff
I Restore Stuff
  • Australia

Mini Planter Box Table Decor Idea

They say measure twice, cut once. I am not a pro when it comes to woodworking, but I thought this project should've been easy enough to attempt. However, I think I measured 10 times before I cut once. Haha.
mini planter box table decor idea
I put together the little boxes using a plank of wood from my local hardware store. You can visit my blog post link at the end of this project to see more pics but I basically measured, cut, glued, clamped and nailed.
mini planter box table decor idea
I built four of these little planter boxes, and today I'll show you one way of decorating them, but this week on Hometalk's Facebook page, I'll be doing a Live DIY demo and showing you a couple more ideas.
mini planter box table decor idea
First I mixed some Fresco texture medium with some Fusion Mineral Paint until it was only just mixed. Looks a little like cottage cheese with the lumps and all. Leaving the lumps in is part of getting a great textured, weathered look.
mini planter box table decor idea
Then I covered the box with the textured paint. You can drag your brush over the lumps, stipple the brush, or cross hatch your brush for added texture.
mini planter box table decor idea
After the textured layer had dried, I used a white colour (Raw Silk) to dry brush across the textured layer, leaving some of the deep blue colour to show through. You can also sand back some of the white and even more blue will peak through on the high areas.
mini planter box table decor idea
I added a little label drawer pull on one of the ends. You could add these along the side or on each end, or however you like.
mini planter box table decor idea
I wrote "Mum" on a small piece of card and tucked it into the label pull. These will make a great gift for Mother's Day and can double as a table centre piece for Mother's Day breakfast, lunch or dinner.
mini planter box table decor idea
Using a plastic bag (I used a freezer bag, but you could use something similar) I lined the wooden box using spray adhesive to keep the plastic lining in place.
mini planter box table decor idea
I found 3 mini tube plants at our garden centre. This pretty much just means they are seedlings in little pots ready to plant in a bigger spot to grow. I added some basic potting mix, and planted my little plants. These will obviously need to be replanted into bigger pots once they begin to grow, but for now, they make a great addition to our mini planter!
mini planter box table decor idea
I added little natural washed pebbles to the top of the soil to finish the look.
mini planter box table decor idea
Pop it in the centre of the table for your special Mother's Day meal, and mum can have a beautiful gift to take home when you're done.
*This planter would also be perfect for succulents - which I was going to use, but were ridiculously expensive to buy at the moment, so I opted for these cuties.

• Pine board  (Hardware store)
  • Wood glue  (hardware store)
  • Nails  (Hardware store)
I Restore Stuff

• Tlw6933834

Love it - but how does it drain?
    • I Restore Stuff

You're right it doesn't drain. You can put stones in the bottom before the soil, so there's a little more drainage, but this project is really a temporary item. You could put drain holes in the wood if you wanted to, but would need to seal the wood carefully with waterproof sealer so the wood wouldn't rot.
      The plants I put in my planter are seedlings which will grow a lot bigger. I plan to re-pot them as soon as they outgrow my planter.
  • Janna Haddix

My favorite flower is aulstramaria and baby's breath.