Stone Garden Wall

$75

Looking for a unique design element for your landscape? This stone wall will add beauty and function.
I have a sloping front yard and for years I wanted to put in a retaining wall but there was always something else that needed to be done. I decided this year the wall was going at the top of the list.
Start by removing any plants where you wall will be placed.
To make the wall level, began at the top of the slope which for us this was at the walkway to our front door. Put a stick into the ground and run a piece of string from the top of the slop to the point at the bottom of the slope where you want to place the wall.

At the bottom of the slope using another stick, mark where one post would be placed and attach the string to this stick.
Place a string level on the string to find the point where it was level from the top of the slope to the bottom.
Our posts were 4' apart. Mark each post spot with another stick and run a string from stick to stick to find the level measurement.
Measure and cut each post.
Dig 12" holes for each post and add paver base or crushed stone to the bottom of the hole.
Place the post in the hole and fill it with crushed stone 3/4 of the way up.
Using a larger level, make sure the post was straight and pack the stone around each post.

Dig the next post hole 12" deep and add crushed stone. Place the post into the ground and using the first post as a guide, the second post is leveled using string and a string level. Continue to level each post in this manner.
After each post was set and the holes are filled with crushed stone, place quick setting concrete into each hole. Fast setting concrete is really easy to use. You dump the dry concrete into the hole, pack it down and spray water on top.
After the concrete was set, roll poultry wire along the front of the entire length of the wall and cut to size.
If the wire fence was bigger than the posts, excess wire was cut off to make it more manageable. Flip the fence around so the cut edge is along the ground. Align the top of the wire fence with the top of each post.
After the front of the fence was complete, run the poultry wire along the back of the posts, cutting it to size.
Attached the wire poultry fence to each post using poultry net staples.
After the front of the fence was complete, run the poultry fence along the opposite side of the posts making the back. Cut the poultry fence and attach to the back side of each post.
Place river stone between the front and back of the poultry fence.
The plants that were removed were replanted, mulch was added and now I have the wall that I had been wanting for so many years.
This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

• Del17556745

Will the wire be removed? We have the exact issue but not sure I want the wire showing. Any options?

• Cindy

Its called a Gabion Style Fence. They are very popular. There are a million pictures of diffrent styles and using diffrent types of rocks on Pintrest. Love them.

• Lucas Cooper

Im not sure I get it. Why would you go to all this trouble and expense just to have posts and wire showing...especially in your front yard? Am I missing something?

• Alicia W

Hi Lucas. From a short distance you can’t see the wire.

• Debra Bowers Frye

It appeared that before the project you had a nice slope going away from your house. This is would be great for water drainage.

Did you backfill behind the retaining wall? If not, what are you retaining?

I would agree with others that I would not want the wire showing, from any distance.

But I respect that you did what you felt best for your situation.

• Alicia W

Hi Debra. Yes I did backfill. The slope is pretty significant and I wanted a level flowerbed