Grout-less Mosaic-Inspired Window

$20

I've tried my hand a making a true mosaic window before--you know, with the little tiles, the glue and the messy grout. I wasn't a huge fan as I found it difficult to get the tiles to break into the perfect size pieces and the grout was aggravating to me. I found a new way to get a mosaic look without the messiness of crushing tiles and dealing with the grout...what's even better is that it only cost me $25! This would make for a great gift to someone special!

grout less mosaic inspired window

SUPPLIES:

-window

-clear silicone

-silicone/caulk gun

-marbles or gems (I used 3 bags of blue and 7 bags of clear.)

-printer paper

-tape

-pen

grout less mosaic inspired window

STEP 1: Clean window

Before I started putting on gems (flat marbles), I cleaned the window I was going to use. If you have a window that doesn't have a nice frame, you can sand it down and paint it. I was ok with how my window frame looked--there were definitely some imperfections but I didn't mind them.

grout less mosaic inspired window

STEP 2: Make stencil

More power to ya if you can freehand a mosaic but I decided to make a stencil so my window wasn't a complete hot mess. I measured the total glass area of my window which was 27x19. Then, I took eight (8) pieces of printer paper and made a big rectangle with them.

grout less mosaic inspired window

Then, I took packing tape (because funny enough, I never have Scotch tape  ) and taped the pieces of paper together at the seams. I taped the front and back.

grout less mosaic inspired window

I wanted to do a mosaic monogram so I drew out an 'M' with a Sharpie. I use the MonogramIt app when I create monogram art so I utilized it for this project as a reference guide.

STEP 2: Clean window

grout less mosaic inspired window

Next, I slid the monogram under the window and aligned it was as close to center as possible with the window.

*Note: I realize that the monogram isn't perfectly center and that is because if I had completely centered it, almost the entire left side of the 'M' would have been nothing but window pane.

grout less mosaic inspired window

STEP 3: Trace stencil with silicone

In small sections, I applied silicone to my window, using the stencil underneath as a guide to follow.

grout less mosaic inspired window

Then, I carefully laid the gems on the silicone, pressing down so that the gem was flat on the glass.

grout less mosaic inspired window

I continued adding on the blue gems, essentially tracing the monogram.

grout less mosaic inspired window

Once all of the monogram was finished, I repeated my method and added clear gems to complete the window. I started at the edge of the monogram and worked my way out to the edges of each window pane.

grout less mosaic inspired window

Because I don't have a lot of wall space, I decided to prop it on a surface rather than hang it. If you have a nice sunny window where you can display your mosaic window, you can screw two (2) eye hooks to the top edge or add D-rings to the back to hang it on the wall. This mosaic window was pretty heavy when it was complete so just be mindful of the hardware you decide to hang it with.

• Window  (on hand)
  • GE clear silicone  (Home Depot)
  • Silicone/caulk gun  (on hand)

• Cora

I've got all the material ahead and found a window yesterday, now reloading at yours I got a four pane window instead of 6 will it still work? Thank you

• Kelsie Warmuth

If a window isn't in arms reach would a picture frame work with the backs on?

• Valerie

Do you not finish the back off with a sturdy material or just leave it with the paper? I would think it would need to be closed off with a piece of plexiglass or thin wood.