Grout-less Mosaic-Inspired Window

$20

I've tried my hand a making a true mosaic window before--you know, with the little tiles, the glue and the messy grout. I wasn't a huge fan as I found it difficult to get the tiles to break into the perfect size pieces and the grout was aggravating to me. I found a new way to get a mosaic look without the messiness of crushing tiles and dealing with the grout...what's even better is that it only cost me $25! This would make for a great gift to someone special!

SUPPLIES:

-window

-clear silicone

-silicone/caulk gun

-marbles or gems (I used 3 bags of blue and 7 bags of clear.)

-printer paper

-tape

-pen

STEP 1: Clean window

Before I started putting on gems (flat marbles), I cleaned the window I was going to use. If you have a window that doesn't have a nice frame, you can sand it down and paint it. I was ok with how my window frame looked--there were definitely some imperfections but I didn't mind them.

STEP 2: Make stencil

More power to ya if you can freehand a mosaic but I decided to make a stencil so my window wasn't a complete hot mess. I measured the total glass area of my window which was 27x19. Then, I took eight (8) pieces of printer paper and made a big rectangle with them.

Then, I took packing tape (because funny enough, I never have Scotch tape  ) and taped the pieces of paper together at the seams. I taped the front and back.

I wanted to do a mosaic monogram so I drew out an 'M' with a Sharpie. I use the MonogramIt app when I create monogram art so I utilized it for this project as a reference guide.

STEP 2: Clean window

Next, I slid the monogram under the window and aligned it was as close to center as possible with the window.

*Note: I realize that the monogram isn't perfectly center and that is because if I had completely centered it, almost the entire left side of the 'M' would have been nothing but window pane.

STEP 3: Trace stencil with silicone

In small sections, I applied silicone to my window, using the stencil underneath as a guide to follow.

Then, I carefully laid the gems on the silicone, pressing down so that the gem was flat on the glass.

I continued adding on the blue gems, essentially tracing the monogram.

Once all of the monogram was finished, I repeated my method and added clear gems to complete the window. I started at the edge of the monogram and worked my way out to the edges of each window pane.

Because I don't have a lot of wall space, I decided to prop it on a surface rather than hang it. If you have a nice sunny window where you can display your mosaic window, you can screw two (2) eye hooks to the top edge or add D-rings to the back to hang it on the wall. This mosaic window was pretty heavy when it was complete so just be mindful of the hardware you decide to hang it with.

• Window  (on hand)
  • GE clear silicone  (Home Depot)
  • Silicone/caulk gun  (on hand)

31 Clever Ideas To Reuse Muffin Pans And Cupcake Liners
Turn Dollar Store Laundry Basket Into Wreath Form In 8 Easy Steps
The Top 9 Kitchen Countertop Makeovers People Are Doing Now
These Clever Decor Ideas Are So Perfect For Summer
17 Benches You Can Build This Summer
Does Your Staircase Need an Update?

• Gail Sacchetti
    Gail Sacchetti

I have been thinking about a project on a back door that leads into an enclosed patio. I hate that it has three panes and I wanted to do something artsy and beachy, still keep the light, but yet making it more private. You just may have given me the answer. I have a question, do you think I should do both sides of the pane or is the silicone transparent when it dries. I would love any advice.

• Joanie
    Joanie

I ALSO think outside displaying it would REALLY be the place. On your front door??? Maybe NOT, since it is glass. Slamming a door would be Shatter trash...... I totally love the projects you two do together.....they are always so nice.!!!!!!

• Kim
    Kim

Do you use ‘clear’ silicone?

• Carol Z
    Carol Z

This is a fantastic idea! Thank you for sharing. I have a couple of these windows hanging around and now I have a direction to go with them! Love the look. 😊

• Njeane43
    Njeane43

I have an old window that I’ve wanted to hang on my porch for awhile now. Thanks for the inspiration!!